ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Random to 'right' and messy text effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Igor HarmendaniRandom to 'right' and messy text effects
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 6:45:36 pm

Hello everyone!

Please look at 0:23 in this video

As you can see the text is all random but it gets "right" at some point, making it legible. Then it kind of 'explodes', leaving all those random letters floating in random positions.

So, how can I replicate this effect in AE?

PS: Sorry for my english

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Random to 'right' and messy text effects
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:16:24 pm

You could replicate this in AE using 2 text animators. Create your paragraph of text, twirl open the text and under the animate pulldown select "Offset" Where it says "Character Offset" change the number till you get a look you like. I would change the "Character Alignment" pulldown to adjust kerning. Open the range selector and enable a "Start" keyframe of 0%, move the Time Indicator and change "Start" to 100%

For making the text 'explode' at the end, I would just apply the text preset 3d Scramble in Position z and reverse the keyframes. In your example the explosion happens all at once, so if you change the first keyframe to hold keyframes, it would look like the video.

I made quick example project to illustrate what I did.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Igor HarmendaniRe: Random to 'right' and messy text effects
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:47:36 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys!

There are really useful things in AE that I still don't know, and it's always good to discover them!

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Random to 'right' and messy text effects
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:20:19 pm

This looks like two Text Layers are being used. The headline text uses the Character Offset with what looks like Hold KFs to animate the Character Offset value from a number down to zero (at 0, all characters are not offset, hence you get the characters that you typed).

The Espresso Eye Chart Text Animation preset provides an example of the Character Offset Text Animator Property.

The smaller text looks like a combination of Character Offset and a simple multi-line fade-in.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Random to 'right' and messy text effects
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 8:08:24 pm

Or you could use a wiggly selector and animate tracking, position and rotation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved