ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

KeyLight Producing Weird Results

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas SizynskiKeyLight Producing Weird Results
by on Jun 10, 2012 at 6:34:34 am

Hey guys!

For this After FX project, I captured frames of a hand drawn/inked animation with the intent of coloring the character with digital paint in PS/AE.

The background was white paper, which I thought would key out fairly easily--especially since the cel was inked with black sharpie.

However, when I use the keylight inkdropper, much of the black ink is actually destroyed.

I created an animated mask around the inked character, but I still want to paint him, which means keying out the white background (he is not vinyl painted).

Keying out the white in the mask lessens the black ink loss, but the lines are still irregular and messy.

Are there any screen matting tips you guys have?

"White" Background Value: R: 224 G: 216 B: 216
Black (average, it is black sharpie) R: 13 G: 9 B: 23 A: 201

An Artist interested in the past, stuck in the present.

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: KeyLight Producing Weird Results
by on Jun 10, 2012 at 9:20:29 am

I would apply a curve to the outline layer to make the black and whites as pure as possible (adding contrast basically) then precomp it. I would change the blending mode to darken or multiply on the precomp and that will drop out the white, leaving the black which will allow you to color underneath.

On second thought, using a levels effect and moving the black and white points inward would probably do what you need with less tweaking.

If you're using sharpie, I doubt you're doing any subtle shading with ink, so a blending mode will do the job better, produce more reliable results, and render faster than an effect.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: KeyLight Producing Weird Results
by on Jun 10, 2012 at 1:12:16 pm

add a keying-linear color key effect
eyedrop the brightest key color white
set its matching softness 0%
add a matte choker effect

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: KeyLight Producing Weird Results
by on Jun 10, 2012 at 4:48:09 pm

All the previous advice can work. I would also recommend a color range key and try to key out the black- then invert the key.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: KeyLight Producing Weird Results
by on Jun 10, 2012 at 8:22:26 pm

If you're working with an essentially black/white image to begin with, then you are most of the way to having a workable luma matte. My suggested workflows would be either:

1) Use the Keying > Extract effect on the luminance to drop the white into transparency.

2) Apply a Color Correction > Levels effect on the source layer, then use this layer as a luma inverted track matte for a black solid. Adjust the levels on the track matte as you like.

Keylight is a chroma keying solution (green/blue screen) and does not work well for removing desaturated colors (white/black/gray are worst cases for keylight).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved