ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating the path of a mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Sizynski
Animating the path of a mask
on Jun 9, 2012 at 9:31:34 pm

I am trying to animate not just the position of a mask, but the actual position of each vertex point as it changes through time.

I thought it was as simple as creating a mask and adjusting spline paths at key points, but when I create a new mask (Layer -> New Mask) for a Layer, and then try to adjust individual vertex positions, AFX locks me out, and says I can only delete vertex point (and then goes on to say how it doesn't recommend this for animating masks).

How can I create a mask that actually lets me adjust individual vertex/spline positions from frame to frame?

An Artist interested in the past, stuck in the present.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Animating the path of a mask
on Jun 9, 2012 at 9:53:10 pm

Did you turn on the stop watch for mask shape? To access this property, select the layer you have your mask and press "M" and then press the stop watch.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Andreas Sizynski
on Jun 9, 2012 at 10:37:56 pm

Yes, I have.

I am able to change the position of the entire mask--but aFX will not let me adjust individual vertices in order to change the direction of the splines.

An Artist interested in the past, stuck in the present.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 9, 2012 at 11:21:30 pm

After you create a mask when you select it, all the vertices will be selected. So if you move one, they all move. Press shift and click a vertices, that should deselect, click it again and you should have just one selected.

If that doesn't work, upload a picture with your mask layer open and the comp window so we can take a look and see if we can figure out the issue.

Also, here's a link to Andrew Davis tutorial on the Basics of Masking, perhaps it's something simple and he addresses it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]