ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Avid 6 into AE CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tudor ApplenAvid 6 into AE CS6
by on Jun 8, 2012 at 1:24:19 am

Hi. I'm trying to use the new Automatic Duck built into CS6 called simply "Pro Import". Both versions are new to me. I'm confused by all the new formats in Avid and in the field lately - I've been coddled by AEs and things keep changing.

Any way, I exported the sequence using "AAF" and "link to" parameters out of Avid. Into CS6, I imported using "Pro Import After Effects". Everything looked to be going fine. But only one video clip shows up. The rest are placed in comp correctly as far as timings and lengths go, but I get a message:

"Unsupported Media" You tried to import a file containing media or references to media that this version of Pro Import does not understand or cannot open."

I read on Automatic Duck site about MXF4Mac and Calibrated Software - and I went to those sites. But now I'm just more confused. Anybody have a quick easy answer to this problem?

Tudor Applen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Avid 6 into AE CS6
by on Jun 8, 2012 at 3:14:55 am

Screw the duck. They aren't supporting it any more. Just export the clips you need and get on with life.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

August AndersonRe: Avid 6 into AE CS6
by on Oct 16, 2012 at 7:20:19 pm

Hey Dave,

He's referring to the Automatic Duck feature that is now built into CS6. The product was bought out by Adobe and directly integrated.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Avid 6 into AE CS6
by on Jun 8, 2012 at 11:52:47 am

You can check out this tutorial on the COW showing the ProImport, to make sure you haven't missed any steps.

Did you AMA some of the media into Avid? If you did, I would think you might have to transcode it into a new sequence and then create the AAF export.

I haven't tried out ProImport in CS6 yet, but I'll run a quick test when I get to work and see how it turns out and report back.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

niccolo ungaroRe: Avid 6 into AE CS6
by on Jun 8, 2012 at 1:08:22 pm

Try to videomixdown the tracks that do not show up in AF in your Avid timeline expecially if there have been imported as AMA....
Duck Pro Import is a fantastic tools....& Calibrated works like magic!
I'm sure you will find the bug.
If you have more problems Pls mail me & I will with more details.

Return to posts index

Tudor ApplenRe: Avid 6 into AE CS6
by on Jun 8, 2012 at 3:44:04 pm

I "fixed" this issue by checking the "Transcode Video To" box in the Avid Export using "AAF" and set it to 1:1 MXF. This solved the problem. But I don't really know what the consequences will be down the line. I suspect it's a slower export for one. Have I added/created new media? I'm not even sure what questions to ask, since I'm new to the MXF formats. But at least it's working. Thanks to those who responded. If you have any warnings, I'd love to hear them!

Tudor Applen

Return to posts index

niccolo ungaroRe: Avid 6 into AE CS6
by on Jun 8, 2012 at 4:47:34 pm

Dear Mr. Tudor,
MXF format is only a container (Avid capsule) so it depends from where it comes as a source .....and which kind of import options you have chosen importing your midia in Avid.

Once in AF you actually read the native file imported in Avid (you can double check it both in Avid and in AF by revealing the file on clicking your right mouse button on the clip (in the bin/project) and select revile file in...)

If your format (frame size ratio) in AF is not the same that the one in Avid giust press Ctrl+Alt+F to match the required (original) size of the composition (frame size) in the preview window, (The frame rate should be the same).

Today Avid & AF are working together like never before. That's wonderful !!!

Creative Cow Mr. Kevin P. McAuliffe explane in the referece Video tut.:

Best regards

Return to posts index

Nicolas ForestRe: Avid 6 into AE CS6
by on Sep 11, 2013 at 12:28:35 pm

Actually, the workflow seems to not work.

We are using Avid Media composer 6.5.2. All the media are transcoded in DNxHD145.

We've exported a sequence using AAF link media (We try with the AAF Edit Propocol option on and off)

On the after effect side, when we've import through the Pro Import, we've select Connect After Effect directly to Avid original files.

After the system scan, we got a message telling that one or more files hasn't been found.

The result is that we have all the sequence but with no "live" media.

What are we doing wrong. On all tutorial it seems to work seamlessly.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Spencer TweedRe: Avid 6 into AE CS6
by on Oct 22, 2012 at 7:03:24 pm

You got 1:1 MXF to work properly?? I've been going back and forth with my editor for hours and I keep getting an error when trying to import the 1:1 MXF files, saying that they are unsopported... It seems like this should be no problem for AE but I can't quite figure it out.

- Spencer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved