ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color-Changing Solid Background--How?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randall Kowalik
Color-Changing Solid Background--How?
on Jun 7, 2012 at 4:46:15 pm

I'm new to After Effects (CS5)... and I need to do something that, well, I can't find the right tools to do it.

What I want to do is create a background that changes color over time. In Motion, this is really easy to do. I just bring a color solid into the timeline... set a keyframe at the beginning that is bright blue... and set a keyframe at the very end that is bright red. Now, moving the cursor through the timeline I can see blue slowly fade to purple and then to red.

How do I do this in AE? I've looked at several options, and all my "Transform" options seem to be restricted to Scale, Position, Rotation, Opacity, Anchor Point, and not much else. The only thing I can come up with is to stack a blue layer on top of a red layer, and work with Opacity.

Is there another way to do this in AE.. or am I looking at doing part of my project in AE, and the rest in Motion (or Final Cut or something else?)

Thanks! :)

--Randall

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Color-Changing Solid Background--How?
on Jun 7, 2012 at 5:07:05 pm

Since you are new to AE, I would strongly suggest you start here. The ones at video copilot and the series by Andrew Davis(from the COW) are both excellent.

But to help you get started, create your new composition and place a comp size solid(cntl + y) into it.

Now add Effect -> Generate -> Fill. Choose your starting color and press the stopwatch to set your first keyframe. Move the end of the composition, click the color swatch and pick your ending color. AE will automatically add another keyframe.

Press U and you should see both keyframes.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 7, 2012 at 5:28:45 pm

Another way to do it is to create a new Solid Layer and give it the initial desired color (red). Apply Effect/ Hue/Saturation and keyframe the effect at the first frame, go to the end, rotate the hue wheel to change to desired final color (blue) - keyframe is set automatically if you have not changed that in the prefs.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dan Fredley
on Jun 7, 2012 at 6:35:00 pm

And yet another way, which might be a little more like Motion:

Make sure no layers are selected and double-click the rectangle tool--a composition-sized Shape Layer will be created. Then animate the fill color.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 7, 2012 at 6:43:06 pm

And the lesson here...there's multiple ways to skin any cat in AE.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Randall Kowalik
Thank you everyone!!!
on Jun 7, 2012 at 7:09:32 pm

I guess my big lesson in this is that I can often find what I need; it's just hidden someplace different than where I'm used to finding it. I'll try to remember to look a little more next time.

Thank you for all the wonderful, accurate suggestions and recommendations. :)

--Randall

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]