ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects for High res Print out

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max SteinAfter Effects for High res Print out
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 5:57:25 am

I know AE supports Red 5k. I was admiring some of the procedural effects you can do in AE with plugins. Some things not easily to do in PS. What are the thoughts of creating a high res single frame in AE (say 20 megapixels)

We can use 16 and 32 bit. What would be the best output format to go to print?

What about colorspace?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects for High res Print out
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 6:36:55 am

I use AE for animation at 16 megapixels, so a single frame at 20 megapixels is very doable.

I've used AE for print a bit, too. The best format to go to print is the one your printer supports or requires.

If you enable AE's color management [link], you can work in any color space you like at 32bpc, but if you are working at 16bpc, you should make sure you choose a nice, wide space. I'd suggest using Adobe RGB -- it's a "good choice for print publication, as almost all colors available using standard printing conditions can be encoded using this profile."

If you need to deliver something specific that's less than AE-friendly, you can render out a PSD, then convert as necessary in Photoshop.

As long as you're printing with process color, you'll be ok. If you must use spot color, AE is not the best solution, as its color model is RGB only.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: After Effects for High res Print out
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:52:33 pm

I've use AE for some billboard work in the past. I handed off a .tif (.tga was also fine) file to my output guy, who then used Genuine Fractals - which is now:

As long as I could give him a file size of 16-20mb for a frame, he could make it fit the side of a building, and it would hold up.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved