ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mask outline looking different in preview and render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teo Mathlein
Mask outline looking different in preview and render
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:07:56 am

I'm having trouble with exporting a video with masked out layer. The lady in the images is masked out from a different shot than the background. In the AE preview my mask looks alright, but when rendered out artifacts start to appear around the edges of the mask. I recognize the artifacts as the mask layer bleeding through, but I have no idea how to get rid of this.

I have Open GL turned of both when rendering and in preview.
However, the only way I did manage to get rid of the artifacts was to render the sequence out with Open GL, but that resulted in some other problems. And from what I've read here I gather it's never a good idea to render in Open GL anyway.

I rendered these out with the unedited "best settings" and the problem stays whether i render to uncompressed avi, png sequence or h264. I use After Effects CS5.5

These two are from the same frame, before and after render.

Love this forum! First time I'm so stuck I actually have to make a post myself though..

Return to posts index

Dan Fredley
Re: Mask outline looking different in preview and render
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:13:02 am

Is motion blur enabled for the layer? It might be turned off for preview but shows up during render if set to "Best".

Return to posts index

Teo Mathlein
Re: Mask outline looking different in preview and render
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:24:06 am

Wow, that was exactly the problem. Boy do I feel stupid.

Thanks a lot though! I would have been up all night trying different render settings before realizing it was that simple.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]