ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Replacing Over Exposed Sky

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandt KieselReplacing Over Exposed Sky
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 10:37:56 pm

I've seen in these forums some talk about replacing an over exposed sky but usually they are part of a static shot or don't have characters crossing in front of the problem area. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could go about fixing a problem like the one in the video below? I use Motion 3 & 4 as well as FCP 6 & 7 (depending on what system I am on). Any help would be much appreciated. Oh yeah, I also have access to AE but I don't know much about the program.

Over exposed sky

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Replacing Over Exposed Sky
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:59:24 am

If you are new to AE, then you really need to start here. AE is an incredible program, but it has a steep learning curve and and it's not a program where you can run before you walk.

All that being said, I understand that sometimes you have to figure it out as you go, so to address your question, there are multiple ways to approach this shot. If I was doing this project, I think I would try to pull a key off that window. I think I would use the luma key effect, set Key Type to "Key Out Brighter" and start the threshold at 250 and see how that works. Then fill the hole in the background with the outside shot you would like. You might have to add a layer on top, with some mask around the window frame if the luma key cuts some of it out.

Another approach(more difficult) would be to use a mask around the window & curtain, set it to subtract, and use a couple of keyframes to follow the camera movement. That will cut a hole in your video and you can put your replacement video into that hole, by placing the replacement layer underneath your video.

Another approach would be to use Mocha to track your shot, but that's probably overkill for this shot.

Now you would add another layer of video on top and either use masks to put the women back into the shot or use the rotobrush to replace the woman.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Craig BowerRe: Replacing Over Exposed Sky
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 1:00:02 am

I would take your footage, adjust the levels, and pull a luma matte.

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Replacing Over Exposed Sky
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 6:40:19 pm

Obviously AE would be better to use than anything else you've mentioned. This needs to be motion tracked, contain animated garbage masks, and for best results, inverted luma key track matted to the original footage. Probably a simple light wrap to help tie in the background. All things that AE does well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved