ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Transparent GIF animation?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel DistréTransparent GIF animation?
by on Jun 3, 2012 at 8:15:59 pm

Well, I wrote a thread in the "Adobe PhotoShop" section for not too long ago. Where I aimed on how I can save an transparent GIF animation (with no background), which turns out that I actually can't (well, it's like hidden and just pisses me off the more I try, spent the whole evening on this and still no solution).

So this thread is more aiming outside any photoshop that seem not to be able to handle simple stuffs, or atleast make simple stuffs hard to find and perform.

I made some beautiful white stars using trapcode particular in After Effects, with no background.
Now I want this to make a transparent GIF animations, so I can add this GIF animation to a blue background for example (I'll be using it in a website with HTML), and there will remain blue background while the white stars are above and that has same smoothness as they're in After Effects.

So, what's the way? Any recommendations of rendering settings in AE or any other software I shall be using?

Thanks in advance
So what can I do to make this work?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Transparent GIF animation?
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 2:48:17 am

The GIF format has only ON and OFF states for transparency, so the only way to end up with smooth edges is to define a Matte color for the GIF which would ideally be the same color as the background of the website.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Benjamin AusmithRe: Transparent GIF animation?
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 8:51:33 pm

After Effects CS4 could export animated GIFs, but 5 and on apparently can't. I'd export an TIFF sequences, making sure to export RGB + Alpha, then import that into Photoshop, and then export the GIF from Photoshop. Not sure Photoshop's GIF support parameters, but as Darby said, GIFs can support on/off alpha channels.

Benjamin Ausmith
Post-Production Assistant
Monadnock Media, inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved