ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE to PR Dynamic Link - HUGE render time...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy DaviesAE to PR Dynamic Link - HUGE render time...
by on Jun 3, 2012 at 11:07:51 am

Hi guys,

I am working on a Premiere project which involves a 25 minute 1280x720 24fps timeline and about 4 minutes of After Effects work delivered via Dynamic Link. The AE work includes a couple of instances of Trapcode Particular, Shine and Starglow, with a lot of Keylight and Colorista II to take care of the green screen work (lets say all 4 minutes).. Finally, a couple of adjustment layers with Magic Bullet Looks.. I have about 10 seconds of basic 3D work and motion blur applied.

I have a render issue.. Well, my Macbook Pro (late 2011) i7 with 16GB RAM (+Lacie RAID Thunderbolt Drive and media cache on a third USB drive) struggled to get 20 seconds done in 7 hours overnight, and still told me I had 40 hours to go! Given that the 20 seconds was a really simple stock video I wonder if I may have an underlying issue.

Does this sound like a massive ask for my system? Does anyone have any advice as to what I should check or try in order to bring this render time down? I am not new to either program really, but the length of this sequence (that is to support a live performance) is slightly ambitious!

I attach a visual (though I realise what I am asking is like asking the length of a piece of string)...

Thanks all in advance!

Return to posts index

Andy DaviesRe: AE to PR Dynamic Link - HUGE render time...
by on Jun 3, 2012 at 5:40:00 pm

Of course it could be that I'm in 32 bit colour space!!!!

Return to posts index

Jim ArcoRe: AE to PR Dynamic Link - HUGE render time...
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 11:45:52 am

I have found that effects like "...Particular, Shine and Starglow, Colorista II, Magic Bullet Looks, 3D work and motion blur..." can each be real render hogs. Combining them will only make matters worse. I have also found that some effects do not use multiple cores, so your CPU may be loafing along at 15-20% utilization. Check for CPU utilization (is there an equivalent to Task Manager in Mac?)

But my biggest suspicion is Dynamic Link. For me, D-L slows things down so much that it is not useable with anything other than the simplest compositions. My i7/WinVista PC is still using CS4, but even with SSDs and 12G of memory, it seems to take forever. You might want to try importing a small section of the project into AE and comparing render times.

IF all else fails, I suggest rendering to an image sequence, so that you can resume the render if there is a power outage or other glitch.

Return to posts index

Andy DaviesRe: AE to PR Dynamic Link - HUGE render time...
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 1:30:44 pm

Thanks Jim. Since yesterday I have been experimenting with and without certain (RG/Trapcode!!) plugins active. I am going to be more conservative in my approach and probably do my rendering in AE for this project - and you're right, DL is fine for basics but for what I am trying to do it is totally unrealistic, particularly on my system.

Thanks mate,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved