ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Have multiple layers explode outward sequentially

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt TinleyHave multiple layers explode outward sequentially
by on Jun 2, 2012 at 11:30:22 pm

Hey Folks,

Wondering if there's an easier way to do this:

I have lots (around 100) unique 3D layers of newspaper clippings, polaroid photos, envelopes, etc, all lying on top of each other, very slightly offset in Z space so they'll cast shadows on one another.

What I would like to happen next is to have the layers explode outward in a sphere, flying past the camera and spinning into oblivion. But I don't want the motion to be random-- I want the origin of the explosion to occur in the middle and radiate outwards. It'd be similar to if you had a bunch of scraps of paper lying on a trampoline, and someone hit the trampoline from underneath with a big stick or something. The papers at the origin of the stick hit would fly further and faster, and the ones less near the impact would do less so.

Something that does this is the layer effector in C4D-- you can pass a shape or something over a group of object, and it acts as an influence to make each object act independently and dynamically.

Is there anything like that for AE? I really don't want to do all of these by hand...

Return to posts index

Craig BowerRe: Have multiple layers explode outward sequentially
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 10:50:52 am

Couldn't you do this in C4D and export out an After Effects project. Then replace all of the solids with your images?

Return to posts index

Matt TinleyRe: Have multiple layers explode outward sequentially
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 10:01:01 pm

Yeah-- that definitely would have been a way to do it. I didn't go with that option b/c I thought I'd have to import all of the unique layer shapes in individually (each layer is essentially a different shape of torn paper or notecard) But on second thought, I probably could've just used flat rectangles in C4d to simulate the effect, and then replaced the layers with the images, and the edges would still look unique b/c of alpha channels. I ended up being too far into the project to feel like switching to C4d, but lesson learned for next time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved