ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

In-betweening mouth shapes on character rigs

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Fal
In-betweening mouth shapes on character rigs
on Jun 2, 2012 at 7:53:23 am

I've been looking for a while and can't seem to find a way to to this, maybe you guys have an idea.

I'm trying to rig a character that would mimic more of a hand drawn animation feel. I'm doing the technique using the time remapping to do the mouth shapes but I don't want that poppy flash animation style when she talks, I was trying to find a way to smoothly in between the shapes to make it look nicer, but I'm not sure this can be done, well yet anyway. I made eyeblinks that do animate, and managed to rig them with an expression that opens and closes them but I dont think I can feasibly do inbetween shapes for the mouths since the dialogue is not so predictable.

Any thoughts? I like creating these problems, it's like a treasure hunt. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: In-betweening mouth shapes on character rigs
on Jun 2, 2012 at 3:17:28 pm

It's hard to offer any suggestions without knowing how you are making the mouth shapes. Shape layers? PSD files? Masks?

You could maybe use twixtor or frame blending, depending on how many tween frames you need. If the mouth shapes are too different then that option may not work very well.

"I dont think I can feasibly do inbetween shapes for the mouths since the dialogue is not so predictable."

I have no idea what that means. Could you elaborate?

Return to posts index

Alex Fal
on Jun 3, 2012 at 7:10:07 am

I'm using psd layers.

What I meant was I can't draw out the various in-betweens by hand like I can with the eyelids since there could be many combinations of mouth shapes to different mouth shapes. Does that make any sense? I'm trying to figure out a way for after effects to do it for me, kind of like using morph targets in a 3D application.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Jun 3, 2012 at 3:58:45 pm

Yes, I got it now. In that case Twixtor or frame blending would probably be the first things that I would try since that's exactly what they are for.

Return to posts index

Alex Fal
on Jun 3, 2012 at 7:45:33 pm

Thanks that's what I was looking for. I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]