ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

"Create Shape from Vector Layer" causes AI file to disappear

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike MacKenzie
"Create Shape from Vector Layer" causes AI file to disappear
on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:29:13 pm

Hey everyone...

I've been trying to bring a very simple layered AI file into AE, and create shapes from the vector art. When I select the "create shapes from vector" option from the Layer menu, the artwork becomes invisible (and does not even appear in alpha view). Shape layer contents indicate black for fill and stroke.

The AI file consists entirely of two simple curves, each on its own layer, and I have tried saving them as paths and as outlined shapes. I have also tried saving them with and without compression. I import the file as a comp maintaining layer size.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

CS6 AI, CS6 AE, OS X Lion

Return to posts index

Rachel B Richard
Re: "Create Shape from Vector Layer" causes AI file to disappear
on Jun 12, 2020 at 7:16:47 pm

Was there a solution in the end? I'm having the same issue

Return to posts index

Mike MacKenzie
on Jun 12, 2020 at 8:48:06 pm

Wow, that was almost exactly 8 years ago, I don't even remember asking the question. One thing I have learned is that Illustrator changed a lot after version 8, and if you are having trouble with a file try saving it as an Illustrator 8 file. Good luck!

Motion Graphics Designer / Art Director
Boston, MA

Return to posts index

Rachel B Richard
on Jun 17, 2020 at 4:53:57 pm

Hahaha, I figured it out. For any individuals with the same issue... It was an issue with the transfer of gradients from the original illustrators file. Either remove the gradient in the illustrator file before importing and creating the shape in after effects or.. just don't create a shape from AI elements containing gradients aha.

A good side note would be to look up what AI elements transfer in AE and which don't. Could be of use for future reference

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 17, 2020 at 10:38:49 pm

[Rachel B Richard] "A good side note would be to look up what AI elements transfer in AE and which don't. Could be of use for future reference
"

A lot of things don't transfer at all such as effects.
AI is pure vector-only since day one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]