ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tracking with Mocha - nothing happens when parented to Null object.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken EvansTracking with Mocha - nothing happens when parented to Null object.
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 8:10:49 am

Hi,

I've finally switched over to Mocha, having a job come in that demands it. I've got a bunch of shots where I want to replace the sky. I've tried it manually and with AE trackers but the shot cranes up and zooms out and it's trumped me.

So I've had a quick tutorial in Mocha, I've done my spline points, tracked it (to perfection - at least in the Mocha window) exported data to clipboard and then pasted to a Null object. However when I parent my sky layer, it doesn't move.

I've tried creating other layers to parent to it but they don't move either. The corner pin effect is on the Null object and all the figures are moving, as are the 4 corner pin points but that's it, nothing else seems to work.

Any thoughts?

Senior Technician, Moving Image Department - Kingston University London.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Tracking with Mocha - nothing happens when parented to Null object.
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 8:19:03 am

Parenting only works with Transformations (except Opacity). Parenting has no effect on effects.

You should apply the Corner-pin data directly onto your layer. You may also want to export transform data from mocha instead of corner-pin - at least this seems to be the case for most set-extensions/sky replacement jobs.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Ken EvansRe: Tracking with Mocha - nothing happens when parented to Null object.
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 8:30:03 am

That's really odd, it works for this guy!

starts about 2:55 in.

If you check his comp you can see what he's done and I've just replicated it. How do I expert/import the transform data. Noob to this app I'm afraid.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Tracking with Mocha - nothing happens when parented to Null object.
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 8:50:21 am

He obviously lucked out! He's exported corner-pin data using the 'supports motion blur' option. With this option selected, mocha exports corner-pin data as well as position, scale and rotation.

His parenting result is affected by the transform properties and not the corner-pin data. It looks OK on his footage because there isn't any perspective change, which is what the corner-pin data does.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from youtube AE tutorials. 8.5 out of 10 are poor. There are sufficient mocha tutorials from the imagineer site as well as here at the COW.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Ken EvansRe: Tracking with Mocha - nothing happens when parented to Null object.
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 8:35:09 am

Hmmm, more oddities:

I just applied the data to the actual sky layer and it disappeared! The layer is no longer visible yet it is right there with the eye icon switched on.

If I disable the corner pin effect on the layer the sky comes back. Also the shape of the layer - the outline box does not move as per the corner pin data so it's not like it's not aligned with the comp window or something.

Really don't understand what's going on! I'm using CS6 with ProRes 422 1080p footage at 25 fps.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2012 at 9:04:42 am

Hi Ken, there's likely some user-error going on and it's impossible to go through all the hoops to help you solve your issues without relevant information.

If you can provide the following details, we should be able to have a more productive outcome -
1) screen cap - 1st frame of spline in mochaAE
2) screen cap - last frame of spline in mochaAE
3) screen cap - showing which export option you've selected in mochaAE
4) screen cap - AE timeline showing properties & their KFs that was pasted from mocha
5) video showing your entire clip in its original rendition
6) screen cap of your insert clip - the cloud image)
7) provide dimensions of the original clip, comp, and insert clip

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2012 at 10:22:51 am

Hi Roland, really appreciate your help on this. I managed to sort it out with some fiddling around. I found the transform export and was able to paste into a null layer and parent as originally intended.

Works a treat and very happy with the way Mocha works, I'm it's newest fan.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Cheers.

K.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2012 at 10:44:53 am

You're welcome Ken. I'm glad things have worked out for you. Do spend time with the mocha's tutorials on their site as well as over here. There should be a small number at Adobe.tv. Of course there are also commercial training DVDs and places like lynda.com

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

michael smithRe: Tracking with Mocha - nothing happens when parented to Null object.
by on Jul 19, 2013 at 1:49:53 pm

Hi Roland,

I'm trying to import a video clip in Mocha, it's recent remove work I've done. I succeed in doing this but that clip won't appear in the output tab under the Remove module. I'm trying to continue removing and have it cached onto that imported clip. Is there a way to do so?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]