ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fog behind objects!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliot Beach
Fog behind objects!
on May 30, 2012 at 11:12:01 pm

Hi there,

I am very new to Motion and have not really used it at all, only doing a small amount of stabilization and that's it. FCP and color I am more advanced if that helps. I am trying to create a fog effect in one of my shots and need it to appear behind some objects in the foreground [See images bellow].

So I want the fog to be just above the water covering out the buildings and behind the trumpeter, pier and lamppost. One image in the original and the other is just a fog clip pulled over to give a rough idea for you.

I'm sure its possible to do so can anyone give me a rough idea, name or tutorial that could help me with this. Thanks

(I am posting this in Motion forum as well to see which program would work the best)

- Original

- Fog screen pulled over

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Fog behind objects!
on May 31, 2012 at 12:08:47 pm

Not knowing if there is a camera move or not, here's what I suggest:
Roto the part that is in front.
Create a Camera Projection (if not familiar do a google search on the subject- you'll get plenty of good tutorials) for the background ( water, sky and buildings). This will give you a nice 3d space to put some 3d particles simulating fog (Particular should do the job) or several 2d layers of fog for a more realistic look.
If you just drop in a single fog layer you will not get the look of things disappearing in the fog as they are farther from the camera. Even if you are going for a heavy thick fog, it would still be nice to see the outline of the buildings that are closer fading in.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Elliot Beach
on May 31, 2012 at 8:01:47 pm

-see below-

Return to posts index

Mato Kokotic
on May 31, 2012 at 4:33:08 pm

4224_pierfog.aep.zip

Like Ted said, use multiple layers, simple feathered masks will suffice (fog is blurry). Play with those masks (opacity, feather).

Try this comp with your footage, see if it suits you...

Return to posts index

Elliot Beach
on May 31, 2012 at 8:11:37 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the help.

Yes, the shot had NO motion.

So before I saw this I had a go at making a fog effect from a tutorial and layered it a couple times 3-dimentionally to get the desired effect somewhat. Then I used Photoshop to cut out the lamppost as I didn't know how to do it in AE and masked the lower sections/trumpeter. Kind of worked for the first test and first time using AE but still looks quite fake if looked at closely. I will try again with the method you proposed Ted (even if its just for learning purposes).

Thanks for the comp Mato looks really good in the screen shot. A lot more depth perception than my initial tests. Only problem is I'm having trouble changing the screenshot files for my video file. If you wouldn't mind telling me how to do that so I can check it out. Hardly used AE since now.

Return to posts index

Elliot Beach
on May 31, 2012 at 8:16:08 pm

Right now this is what I see. Been playing around with it but cant seem to keep those same masks on top of the video file. Sorry, new to AE! Enjoying it though.

Also if i want to change the resolution to the size the video ill be which is 1080 do i just change comp settings? Nothing else?

Return to posts index

Mato Kokotic
on Jun 1, 2012 at 4:11:03 am

Just right-click on a missing file in Project window, then Replace file with your shot. That's it.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 1, 2012 at 6:29:24 am

To change the size of your composition, including the elements in it, use a Script that comes with AE.
Choose "File > Scripts > Scale Composition" and then enter the desired width or height of the new size.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Elliot Beach
on Jun 1, 2012 at 11:06:43 am

This is actually perfect Mato, thank you!

I will still practice with Teds method to see if I can replicate this look with a couple tutorials. After Effects is a great program going to have to use it more often.

Thank you guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]