ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mask / Track Matte problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cassidy ClawsonMask / Track Matte problems
by on May 30, 2012 at 7:04:29 pm

Hello all,

This is a very basic question that I am having a very difficult time resolving.

I want to achieve a simple effect: slide text into view from behind a masked edge. I am trying to accomplish something similar to this:

At 00:02, see how "tells people" slides in from behind "Nobody". That's what I am trying to do.

A mask doesn't work because the mask moves with the position of the text. I cannot get an alpha track matte to work because it converts the black dropshadow on the text to gray, and a luma track matte leaves out the drop shadow all together.

This is so simple. How do I do it? This is also extremely time sensitive. So if you have any ideas, please help!

Return to posts index

Dan FredleyRe: Mask / Track Matte problems
by on May 30, 2012 at 7:32:14 pm

If you look closely, it only has the illusion that it is coming from behind the text. In reality, it is just coming from behind a solid. You can just create a solid above the lower text in the timeline and in the comp place the solid where the bottom lines up with the bottom of the upper text and set the lower text's track matte to alpha inverted matte. It will then appear as it moves from behind the solid--you should have no problems with drop shadows.

Dan Fredley

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved