ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Photoshop Gradient Map

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Callac
Photoshop Gradient Map
on May 30, 2012 at 2:29:02 pm

The art director did some art colorations using gradient maps in photoshop, so all the artwork is greyscale and the gradient map was assigning color value based on the greyscale values. I'm trying to achieve the same thing with Colorama, but it's not working correctly. I've got the input phase set to lightness. I've input my colors into the output cycle on the color wheel and the problem I'm running into is the Pure black and pure white seem are being treated as identical shades. So if I try to shift my white color, it shifts things that are pure black too.

Anyone a colorama master, or know another way to achieve the same effect as a photoshop gradient map?

thanks
-mattyc

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Photoshop Gradient Map
on May 30, 2012 at 2:55:34 pm

[Matt Callac] "Pure black and pure white seem are being treated as identical shades"

they are right next to each other, and it can be difficult to get those just right.

try starting with an output cycle like 'ramp gray'. this will give you a white pointer at the white point and a black pointer at the black point. then change those as needed (trying not to move them) and then add any other points that you need.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
Re: Photoshop Gradient Map
on May 30, 2012 at 3:18:03 pm

Seems like really awkward design on the filter to have the color selection as a wheel, rather than a line. Grey output cycle trick worked like a charm. I'd have spent a crap ton of time trying to figure that one out. Thanks Kevin,
-mattyc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]