ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Illustrator paths import

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roen Davis
Illustrator paths import
on May 29, 2012 at 12:53:15 am

Hi All,

I originally posted this yesterday in AI forum but didnt get any nibbles and then decided that it is an AE question anyway.

I am an AI twinky. I am trying to disassemble an Illustrator project that I have inherited so that I can animate it in AE. I have done a release to layers but on some items there are clipping paths and when they get released it reveals things that I dont want. How do I merge or flatten the clipping paths? And then once in AE is there a way to keep the objects in their positions - at the moment it seems that they all just stack - there are about 70 layers so that isnt ideal.

to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Illustrator paths import
on May 29, 2012 at 10:17:04 am

If you're using CS6, then use the Layer>Create Shapes from Vector menu command. Here's a tutorial that may be helpful - http://www.sternfx.com/tutorials/114

I'm not too familiar with clipping paths in AI but I believe that they have to be removed outside of AE.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on May 29, 2012 at 3:34:56 pm

First read this to understand the basic concepts of clipping masks...
AI help: http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/clipping-masks.html

The clipping masks need to be on every layer that you want to clip. You can copy/paste them into each layer but you will likely have to manually go to the layer palette menu and select "make clipping mask". When you copy/paste in Illustrator use Cmd/Ctrl+C to copy but use Cmd/Ctrl+F (paste in front) to paste so it stays in the same place. For reasons that I don't understand, if you just Cmd/Ctrl+V to paste the layer usually ends up in a different place.

When you bring it into AE choose "composition - retain layer sizes".

Also, be sure the document color mode is set to RGB not CMYK or it can cause problems or just not import at all.

HTH

Return to posts index

Roen Davis
on May 30, 2012 at 3:47:28 am

Hi
thanx for the responses.
I have released to layers successfully except the layers that have the clipping masks. I save the AI and then import into AE(all CS5). I now have a composition that is a hard flattened image of the AI file and I have a folder with all the components of the AI (except the bits with the clipping mask - and maybe a key to my dilemma might be that its not about the clipping mask but that the clipping mask is over "non native art") since I want to animate all the components I pull all the components into the composition but they are all stacked and not in the positions the AI had them. So is it possible to import the AI components and keep them all in the AI positions?

Return to posts index

Roen Davis
on May 30, 2012 at 3:54:11 am

aha! import composition without retain layer sizes keeps the components registered and brings in the clipping path ones too . . . . maybe its solved - dare I say by searching the archives :-|

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]