ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Match Grain on 3D Extruded text in CS6?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clay HammonsMatch Grain on 3D Extruded text in CS6?
by on May 28, 2012 at 11:53:22 pm

How can I use match grain on 3d text in cs6? When I apply the effect to the text directly it doesnt work. I assume I could precompose the text and then add grain to that layer but the grain would extend beyond the text to the whole layer. I was thinking I could make a white version of the 3d text to use as a matte but that would cause crazy high render times with both the 3d texts. Any idears?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Match Grain on 3D Extruded text in CS6?
by on May 29, 2012 at 10:09:17 am

There are workarounds and the one to use depends on the interaction the 3D extruded text has with other layers in the comp and if Text Animator Groups were used.

If there are no Text Animator Groups, set the Ray-tracing Quality to 1 or 2 and Antialiasing to None. Then select Layer>Create Shapes from Text. Place the Shape Layer at the top of the Timeline (or where ever appropriate) and turn it into an Adjustment Layer. Apply Add Grain.

To speed things up, select the Shape Layer and switch off unnecessary Material Options - Lights, reflections, shadows etc.)

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Clay HammonsRe: Match Grain on 3D Extruded text in CS6?
by on May 29, 2012 at 5:47:02 pm

perfect! yah the text is going to be sitting directly on top of some video so im rendering it out with an alpha.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved