ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Black and white Illustrator file color shifts when exported/rendered from After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike ImamBlack and white Illustrator file color shifts when exported/rendered from After Effects?
by on May 28, 2012 at 3:35:17 pm

Hi all,

Having a very frustrating problem and hoping someone has a fix:

I'm using both After Effects and Illustrator CS5. I have an Illustrator file that only has black and white colored objects in it. I import this file into After Effects, and all looks fine in my comp, until I render. The exported file turns out more greyish than pure black for some reason? No clue what could be causing this.

I tried saving my AI file as both CMYK and RGB and both produce the same result.

I also tried a workaround where I use "Color Overlay" from my layer styles in AE but this solution will not work because I'm using big blocks of white in AI file to mask out certain parts and those end up getting filled too.

I've tried turning "Continuously Rasterize" on and off for the layer in AE, with no luck.

FInally, I thought it might be my compression - I tried exporting at both Mpeg4 and ProRes, both with the same result.

Help!

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Black and white Illustrator file color shifts when exported/rendered from After Effects?
by on May 28, 2012 at 3:52:51 pm

If you are viewing the rendered videos in quicktime player it could just be the notorious quicktime gamma shift problem, which makes the video look washed out. Try importing the video back into AE or open with another player like VLC and see if it still looks washed out.

Return to posts index

Mike ImamRe: Black and white Illustrator file color shifts when exported/rendered from After Effects?
by on May 28, 2012 at 4:28:06 pm

Wow, that is ridiculous. And it's been driving me mad! I've wasted hours on this problem...

Thanks so much for helping. I checked my vid out in VLC and the colors look fine. Is this because I'm using QT7 as opposed to QTX?

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Black and white Illustrator file color shifts when exported/rendered from After Effects?
by on May 28, 2012 at 5:29:38 pm

Glad to hear that was the problem. At least now you know. I'm not sure about QTX because I hate that player and never use it. I guess just try it and see what happens.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]