ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Repeat Rectangle Around a Circle

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clive Smith
Repeat Rectangle Around a Circle
on May 28, 2012 at 10:04:24 am

I want to create a rectangle shape and repeat it around a circle.

The end result would look something like a clock.

I have set the anchor point on the shape to just below the rectangle. The rotated copies don't chase around the base of the rectangle.

Please someone tell me what I am doing wrong here!

I was sure I saw a tut here on this exact thing (I think it was Andrew Kramer's) but cannot find it here or on his site.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Repeat Rectangle Around a Circle
on May 28, 2012 at 3:58:33 pm

I don't quite understand what you are doing so it's hard to say what you're doing wrong. Could you post some more details?

Return to posts index

Clive Smith
on May 29, 2012 at 5:57:00 am

I should have put up an image in the first place, sorry! I created this in PS.

To do this in AE, I created a shape layer and put a rectangle in it. I set the anchor point below the rectangle and then added a repeater.

I cannot figure out how to create this with just a repeater. All the rotate options don't repeat the shape around the anchor point.

What am I doing wrong here?

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on May 29, 2012 at 3:05:53 pm

Ah, I see what you mean now. Honestly, I haven't fooled with shape layers enough to know all of the ins and outs but you're right, it appears that the rotation is independent of the anchor point. Another way you could do this is to just duplicate the layer and add this expression to the rotation property of the duplicate layers (not to the original layer though):

thisComp.layer(index-1).transform.rotation+20

Change the 20 to whatever rotation value you want and each layer will rotate that amount past the previous layer's rotation.

Return to posts index

Clive Smith
on May 29, 2012 at 3:31:34 pm

Thanks for the help Eric. I will try your expression.

What I wanted to do, was start the shapes' opacity at 0%, then keyframe to 100 and then cycle the whole lot. This was, I would have a rotating clock of sorts.

I know that there is a tutorial here somewhere, but I am darned if I can find it.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on May 29, 2012 at 3:43:17 pm

You might be thinking of this one:
http://www.sternfx.com/tutorials/53#video

Return to posts index

Clive Smith
on May 30, 2012 at 5:54:30 am

This is it! Thanks so much Eric for all your help.

I cold have sworn it was a repeater function and having said that, I am sure that it could be done with a repeater... just need to figure out how to rotate around its' own anchor point!

Thank you again!

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on May 30, 2012 at 3:10:27 pm

You're welcome, glad I could help. If you figure out the repeater thing be sure to post back.

Return to posts index

Andrew Bailey
on Jun 9, 2016 at 4:44:19 pm

Just in case anyone else stumbles on this post and can't figure out what's going on, the Repeater function defaults to rotate around the center of the comp. It is not automatically linked to the anchor point of your shape. The quickest way to fix this is to copy the Anchor Point co-ordinates from the Transform controls for the Shape into the Transform controls for the Repeater.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]