ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Drop shadow on Paint Effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim JohnstonDrop shadow on Paint Effect?
by on May 25, 2012 at 1:42:02 pm

This should be a quick one for one of you masters out there...

I know there are lots of ways to do this, but what's the best/simplest/most efficient way to add a drop shadow to a paint stroke?

I'm 'painting' a lot of words onto a backplate. To separate them into different layers to manage them better, I put each painting on a different adjustment layer.

Since paint is already an effect, applying the drop shadow effect to the layer doesn't work the way I want (I want to add a drop shadow to each paint stroke).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Drop shadow on Paint Effect?
by on May 25, 2012 at 4:20:51 pm

Oops. Forget the adjustment layers. Use solids, and paint on transparent. When you have things the way you like, precomp each layer and then add the shadows.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tim JohnstonRe: Drop shadow on Paint Effect?
by on May 28, 2012 at 10:51:05 pm

Thanks, Dave. I forgot about the 'Paint on Transparent' option within the Paint effect. If I do it on a solid, instead of adjustment layer, adding the Drop Shadow effect after it gives me the look I want - no need to PreComp.

ProTools 8.0.4cs2
Matrox MXO2 mini
OSX 10.6.6
MacPro 2x2.7GHz

Return to posts index

pat banahanRe: Drop shadow on Paint Effect?
by on Jan 9, 2016 at 10:38:11 pm

Hey I'm having a similar problem however I want to add a drop shadow to all my paint stroked on a video clip - whenever I paint on transparent I only get a black screen can someone please help?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved