ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to create an opacity gradient that is equivalent to shape like in Avengers graphics (Example Provided)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick ShawHow to create an opacity gradient that is equivalent to shape like in Avengers graphics (Example Provided)
by on May 25, 2012 at 12:43:31 am

So I've been trying to do some interface design for a tablet and have been wanting to create some side paneling like the ones circled in this image from the Avengers

See how there seems to be a gradient in each panel making the edges less transparent than the center and how this effect seems to be fitted around the entire shape. How would one go about doing this? Not sure if I should do it in Photoshop or After Effects but I have both.

Let me know if you need more explanation

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to create an opacity gradient that is equivalent to shape like in Avengers graphics (Example Provided)
by on May 25, 2012 at 1:22:03 am

Photoshop.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick ShawRe: How to create an opacity gradient that is equivalent to shape like in Avengers graphics (Example Provided)
by on May 25, 2012 at 1:50:20 am

Thats not what I'm asking. Im asking how to make a shape have the transparency change from the center to its edges if the shape is asymmetrical like in this picture. So basically how do I do panels like the ones I circled in the image. So how would I do this in photoshop?

Return to posts index

Conrad OlsonRe: How to create an opacity gradient that is equivalent to shape like in Avengers graphics (Example Provided)
by on May 25, 2012 at 3:38:29 am

Try the 'inner glow' layer style.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

Eric SantiagoRe: How to create an opacity gradient that is equivalent to shape like in Avengers graphics (Example Provided)
by on May 25, 2012 at 4:25:12 am

I second Dave...Photoshop.
Just not gonna get into the technique since that would be more Graphic Design as oppose to After Effects related.
However if you wanted to try and create that in AE using Masks, the new mask option in CS6 would actually help :)
Would still be way easier in Photoshop.

Return to posts index

Frank FeijenRe: How to create an opacity gradient that is equivalent to shape like in Avengers graphics (Example Provided)
by on May 25, 2012 at 9:33:33 am

In ae, using a fat stroke on your shape, blurring it, and using the same shape with only a fill as a track matte might do the trick?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]