ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color issue with CS3

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt FergusonColor issue with CS3
by on May 24, 2012 at 5:41:49 pm

Hi all,

At the production studio I work at we are having an issue with our outputs. We shoot primarily against green screen, cut the video in FCP7, output it to AE CS3 for keying, and then kick it back to FCP7 for finishing work.

The issue is that when kicking it to AE the picture becomes darker and seems a little yellowish. We were originally passing off Pro Res files but the gfx team recommended switching to AIC because it was easier for AE to handle the file size and they didn't have the Pro Res codec on their system. They've downloaded QT7 just recently but haven't tried pro res footage in the program yet to see if its easier to work with now.

Could the issue be with the codec? My thought is ProRes is better to use but is AIC suffice?

Is the issue with using CS3? Would the issue be resolved if we used CS5.5? (not able to upgrade to CS6 yet)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Matt W. Ferguson

Video Editor
Video Making Production Studio Place (VMPSP)

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Color issue with CS3
by on May 25, 2012 at 1:53:44 pm

[Matt Ferguson] "The issue is that when kicking it to AE the picture becomes darker and seems a little yellowish. We were originally passing off Pro Res files but the gfx team recommended switching to AIC because it was easier for AE to handle the file size and they didn't have the Pro Res codec on their system. They've downloaded QT7 just recently but haven't tried pro res footage in the program yet to see if its easier to work with now."

AIC is not a good choice for much of anything, but it's especially poor for keying from high-quality sources, as it's 4:2:0 and pretty lossy.

AE has no problem whatsoever "handling the file size" of ProRes.

ProRes roundtripping from FCP to AE and back is a fine workflow. I'd start there.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Matt FergusonRe: Color issue with CS3
by on May 25, 2012 at 4:06:00 pm

Thanks for the tip. I was originally passing of ProRes and then was requested to pass of AIC. They have QT7 on their systems now so they should be able to read ProRes with no issue.

Matt W. Ferguson

Video Editor
Video Making Production Studio Place (VMPSP)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]