ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

smooth zoom within after effects

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
cherlique lilienthal
smooth zoom within after effects
on May 24, 2012 at 7:40:48 am

hi peeps. i'm working on a music video right now. my mind went a little blank because i overworked myself the last couple of days with some other projects. so i went online for some inspiration and i found a music video by t-pain called "booty wurk" (link here:

. this entire video was done in one take. so there are no cuts in the footage. but they did use some visual effects that looked quite interesting. during the video, the footage is zoomed in and out smoothly but it also kind of a moves up and down to the beat the beat while the zoom is happening. i don't think the zooms where done during filming but in post. at one point his head stays perfectly steady while the rest of the screen sort of vibrates around to the beat. like when a camera is attached to your helmet. this was also done in post. i would like to know how i wold go about getting these effects in after effects. i suspect i will have to do some tracking and some wiggle expressions. can someone help me out? i have already searched the web for tutorials but i have found non that cover this subject.

also i would like to know how to control lens flares from both "optical flares" and "knoll light factory" in real world footage. like tracking, obscuration and having a flare just appear and quickly disappear. i already know how to use them with motion graphics. but when i try to use it on video footage, the movements just look weird. i would like to control them better so it looks believable. an example of that would be the music video titled "roll up" by wiz khalifa (link here:

i hope someone can help me out.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: smooth zoom within after effects
on May 24, 2012 at 8:02:23 am

In the first example you posted I think that a steady cam was used for the shoot with a lot of planning. It is possible that everything was shot @ 4k, with a wider framing to allow for moves, shakes and zooms in post.
As far as the lens flares go,check out Optical Flares from videocopilot - plenty of tutorials on that also.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

cherlique lilienthal
Re: smooth zoom within after effects
on May 24, 2012 at 3:48:15 pm

@Tudor "Ted" Jelescu

thanks for the reply Ted. i do know how it was filmed, but i am more interested in the visual effects used (like the shaking of the footage, the zooms, the way his head stays steady while everything else shakes around and the way the frame kind of vibrates like when you turn up the base on some large speakers) and kind of a break down of how i could achieve those effects. i kind of know how to go about it, but i just cant seem to get it right i need some guidelines to see if i am actually doing it the right way and what i am doing wrong.

i have all the video copilot tutorials and they are great for motion graphics (2d and 3d) but they dont cover the obscuration in video footage and the rules for movement with real world situation footage. motion graphics possibilities are completely covered in the tutorials but when composeting the flares with video itself i found that its a bit different.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]