ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

smooth zoom within after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cherlique lilienthalsmooth zoom within after effects
by on May 24, 2012 at 7:40:48 am

hi peeps. i'm working on a music video right now. my mind went a little blank because i overworked myself the last couple of days with some other projects. so i went online for some inspiration and i found a music video by t-pain called "booty wurk" (link here:

. this entire video was done in one take. so there are no cuts in the footage. but they did use some visual effects that looked quite interesting. during the video, the footage is zoomed in and out smoothly but it also kind of a moves up and down to the beat the beat while the zoom is happening. i don't think the zooms where done during filming but in post. at one point his head stays perfectly steady while the rest of the screen sort of vibrates around to the beat. like when a camera is attached to your helmet. this was also done in post. i would like to know how i wold go about getting these effects in after effects. i suspect i will have to do some tracking and some wiggle expressions. can someone help me out? i have already searched the web for tutorials but i have found non that cover this subject.

also i would like to know how to control lens flares from both "optical flares" and "knoll light factory" in real world footage. like tracking, obscuration and having a flare just appear and quickly disappear. i already know how to use them with motion graphics. but when i try to use it on video footage, the movements just look weird. i would like to control them better so it looks believable. an example of that would be the music video titled "roll up" by wiz khalifa (link here:

i hope someone can help me out.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: smooth zoom within after effects
by on May 24, 2012 at 8:02:23 am

In the first example you posted I think that a steady cam was used for the shoot with a lot of planning. It is possible that everything was shot @ 4k, with a wider framing to allow for moves, shakes and zooms in post.
As far as the lens flares go,check out Optical Flares from videocopilot - plenty of tutorials on that also.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: smooth zoom within after effects
by on May 24, 2012 at 2:21:56 pm

I agree with Ted: they shot this in a much higher resolution than they intended to use for final delivery. This gave them the luxury of recomposing shots in post, including the bobbing effect.

It's all about the planning. And having an adequate budget.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

cherlique lilienthalRe: smooth zoom within after effects
by on May 24, 2012 at 4:00:19 pm

@Dave LaRonde

thanx for the reply Dave.

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2012 at 3:48:15 pm

@Tudor "Ted" Jelescu

thanks for the reply Ted. i do know how it was filmed, but i am more interested in the visual effects used (like the shaking of the footage, the zooms, the way his head stays steady while everything else shakes around and the way the frame kind of vibrates like when you turn up the base on some large speakers) and kind of a break down of how i could achieve those effects. i kind of know how to go about it, but i just cant seem to get it right i need some guidelines to see if i am actually doing it the right way and what i am doing wrong.

i have all the video copilot tutorials and they are great for motion graphics (2d and 3d) but they dont cover the obscuration in video footage and the rules for movement with real world situation footage. motion graphics possibilities are completely covered in the tutorials but when composeting the flares with video itself i found that its a bit different.

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2012 at 4:01:01 pm

[cherlique lilienthal] " i am more interested in the visual effects used.. but i just cant seem to get it right i need some guidelines to see if i am actually doing it the right way and what i am doing wrong."

We're both dwelling on how it was shot because it's vital to the success of the effect. If, for example, you're trying to do this in HD using HD footage, you won't be successful and any advice Ted could give would be useless.

Since you haven't described much about the project -- particularly the comparative resolutions of the project and the footage -- we're at something of a loss to help.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: smooth zoom within after effects
by on May 24, 2012 at 4:47:45 pm

most of the time you don't really need to use an obstruction layer for a flare effect. you can just keyframe the brightness of the flare as the light source in the footage moves behind something.

you can use expression, like the one found here:

http://www.motionscript.com/design-guide/obscuration.html

you would need to modify the expression a bit to use the luminance values rather than alpha values of the layer, and then there will be some tweaking to work out the values min/max values that work for that shot... and those would change for just about every shot. in the end, i think it would be faster to simply keyframe it for most situations.

as for the syncing to audio, this tutorial can be adapted to effect scale, position, rotation, or whatever:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/q/audio/

if you search the expressions forum, you can probably find an expression that does nearly exactly what you are trying to do. if you want just the bass, it's best to have the bass as a separate track, or use an effect like soundkeys (from trapcode), but you can alos try using ae's bass & treble to try and better isolate the bass before converting the audio to keyframes (the videocopilot tutorial may do this, i can't remember).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2012 at 9:53:09 pm

hey Kevin thanks for the tips i will try them out and i'll let you know what i was able to come up with.

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2012 at 9:46:36 pm

yes Dave you are right. i will have to plan the shots with the end results in mind. for this video i don't plan on doing it all in one take, because i don't have a Steadicam available at this time. i do have a jib and a dolly. so i plan on doing it with the cuts, but with the smooth moves, no hand held shots. i will shoot in HD using a canon dslr. but what if i use it in a 1280 X 720 project? i would have some extra resolution to play around with.

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2012 at 9:50:31 pm

My browswer here at work doesn't permit viewing your video examples, sorry to say. But I suppose it depends on how much you want to zoom & bounce.

It's easy to figure out the ratios by doing a little arithmetic. Judge for yourself if it's going to be worth it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2012 at 9:56:50 pm

thanks dave i'll do some tests to see what i can come up with

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]