ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rotobrush frustration!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david fukumoRotobrush frustration!
by on May 23, 2012 at 6:48:21 pm

Hi group, trying the rotobrush tool in AE 6 and I'm not understanding it.
I've grabbed a 10" clip from PP and want to select a woman's face/arm as she gets up from bed and stands and simply color correct her skin while leaving the background color as is.

On the first frame I have selected the arm/face and scrub about 2 frames and the mask has stayed in the same spot and then the mask disappears.

From what I read the rotobrush was suppose to predict 20 frames ahead. My question is why is the roto staying in one spot, and why is it going away after 2 frames.

Thanks David

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rotobrush frustration!
by on May 23, 2012 at 10:06:43 pm

I'm not surprised you're frustrated. You can't use Rotobrush intuitively and expect it to perform as advertised. You have to watch the tutorials and put in the time.

Here's a good link:

Check out the very first topic on the page.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david fukumoRe: Rotobrush frustration!
by on May 23, 2012 at 10:40:35 pm

I'm sure you're right, I just think if Adobe's tutorial says 20 frames it should be close to it, but you're 100% correct, I realize time is the only thing that helps, plus practice. I just wish there was an easier way to understand what is the best method, or I wish (coming from photoshop) the effects were named the same so I could say go to this but I realize, adobe bought the various apps from other vendors and never renamed tools (same in illustrator)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Rotobrush frustration!
by on May 24, 2012 at 1:35:25 pm

When using the Rotobrush, you can't scrub 2 frames ahead and have it just be there(and not at all in the comp window). You move ahead 10 frames in the layer window(where you made your first mask) and the brush propagates the roto. You will see a little green line move toward your current time indicator showing you the progress. If there is a mistake you go back and correct it and it will propagate the roto from there. It's work---but still a lot less than masking an entire person frame by frame.

Dave is absolutely right though, you need to watch tutorials, read the manual to figure this one out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

david fukumoRe: Rotobrush frustration! part 2
by on May 28, 2012 at 8:52:10 pm

Hi group, I've been using the roto all week, I don't understand this situation; I roto the person and refine every frame as I go, I see the render line catch up and move ahead, at 7" I lose the entire selection and the brush will not let me create a new one or continue with the old one.

I've tried to render it out and it the clip simply ends, I tried to grab the part that is missing and bring it into AE but that is also not working. I can play the entire 10" clip in Premiere any ideas?

Return to posts index

Alex DeJesusRe: Rotobrush frustration! part 2
by on May 31, 2012 at 3:42:57 am

Putting the time in is irrelevant if there is a bug. I can't tell if this effect is workig the way it should. It just took a solid 2 hours to render a 15 portion of a rotobrushed clip. It rendered in spurts, locking up occasionally. I saw a golden candy cane pattern along the timeline fo a while.

Now, as it plays back, I see a couple of places where I could have gotten closer with the brush. If I go back and tweak it now, then I have lost all that time. If I use what I have, it looks rough.

The entire clip is 1:30 and there are 2 such clips that need to be processed by tomorrow. I don't see it happening at this rate.

Alex DeJesus

Return to posts index

Fabio RamirezRe: Rotobrush frustration!
by on Aug 27, 2012 at 7:38:28 am

You should use Silhouette or Nuke, use AE for quick projects.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved