ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS6 - Controlling Lights

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Tunnell
AE CS6 - Controlling Lights
on May 23, 2012 at 3:25:13 pm

I am digging into AE CS6!!!! I love the 3D/Raytrace stuff. But now more than ever it is important to be able to control AE's lights.

I have searched around and and am unable to find any tutorials on controlling these little beasts. Anyone know of any resources on controlling lights in AE?

Thanks,

David Tunnell
TunnellVision Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE CS6 - Controlling Lights
on May 23, 2012 at 6:08:27 pm

Since the lights themselves haven't changed a lot in AE and certainly not in AE 11, you can check out any tutorial you'd like. There are plenty of them right here on the COW. Andrew Devis has a good AE Basics series.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Tunnell
on May 23, 2012 at 11:53:39 pm

I have watched most of the basic series and I have reviewed most of the Cow tutorials, but none that I found were on controlling lights. There are a lot of tutorials on controlling cameras and building camera rigs and I think lights are much more difficult than cameras.

Thanks,

David Tunnell

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 25, 2012 at 2:01:36 pm

David, can you be a bit more specific about what it is you are looking to learn?

You're absolutely right that good lighting is more important with the 3D ray-tracer. Are you familiar with real-world, physical lighting techniques?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Tunnell
on May 25, 2012 at 3:08:03 pm

I have always had trouble getting the lights to behave and point in the correct direction when I moved them back in z space. I may just be dense. But I was trying to back light a 3D scene with a spot light and was getting frustrated because it wasn't behaving as I expected.

Even this guy at Motionworks who demonstrates materials for the new AE6 mentions the frustration of controlling 3D lights.

Thanks,

David Tunnell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]