ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Duik IK and Puppet Tool

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat BrayDuik IK and Puppet Tool
by on May 23, 2012 at 12:09:48 pm

I was hoping to use Duik's IK tool to rig and animate a horse illustration. I followed the tutorial example he has on the website using a solid, precomping and then puppet pinning three points etc etc, which worked fine, so I tried the same thing on one of the horses limbs but keep getting a 'Select the bones and the controller before creating IK'. I really can't figure out what I'm doing differently to the tutorial other than using a precomped png file rather than precomped solid.

Has anyone else had this problem of can offer a solution?

Return to posts index

Andy GallowayRe: Duik IK and Puppet Tool
by on May 24, 2012 at 9:14:03 pm

Hi mate,

Been a while since I used Duik Ik but I think you get that message if you do not have the bones and controller highlighted in you timeline when you push the Create IK button. Also I seem to remember you have to highlight them in the specific order of hierachy moving upwards.

I don't know if that helps but let me know how you get on.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Gavin EdwardsRe: Duik IK and Puppet Tool
by on Jul 13, 2012 at 9:01:33 pm

I'm getting the same problem and warning box as Pat. Have tried with original psd artwork and precomping it to no avail.

Does anyone have a solution to this? Much appreciated if you do.

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Duik IK and Puppet Tool
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 3:38:36 pm

Check your parenting hierarchy. Also, make sure you select the layers in the correct order (hand->lowerArm->upperArm->handController). I've gotten that message and in most cases redoing the parenting and/or selecting seems to do the trick.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Tom SmithRe: Duik IK and Puppet Tool
by on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:55:54 pm

Same problem. Weird thing is on my project, the arms are PSD layers and so is the legs but the feet are precomped to include the toes. arm works but feet dont. I get that same error and the is ZERO English tutorials on the current version of this.

Where are all the nerds that speak French?

Return to posts index

Gerald HapemanRe: Duik IK and Puppet Tool
by on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:51:23 am

Sorry to chime in, but yep, same problem. Precomping doesn't work either. I've done everything by the book, word for word and still the problem. I know Dan Geis has his latest tutorials up for rigging with Duik on his Rocket Randee so maybe he provides some info there...?

Return to posts index

Peter KmeҕRe: Duik IK and Puppet Tool
by on Jan 9, 2014 at 12:36:42 pm

Hi Pat

I had the same issue, but i findout the reazon - you can youse only 3points.
here is also tutorial (2nd one):

as you can see, for creating "S" is used 2 IK chains with 3 joints,,,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved