ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Working with large files and lots of tracking data in Mocha AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Pigford
Working with large files and lots of tracking data in Mocha AE?
on May 22, 2012 at 3:27:12 am

I'll be starting a project soon where there will basically be a 3 minute continuous shot with dozens of planes to track, many of which will exit the frame and then re-enter.

The footage is 4K (though there's a possibility we'll downsize to 2K). So, the source files will be massive (many many many GB's in size).

Is there some sort of "best practices" for handling large files that are multiple minutes long that will have a lot of tracking data throughout the entire shot?

For reference, I'm running AE CS6 (which I believe comes with the equivalent of Mocha 2.7).

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Working with large files and lots of tracking data in Mocha AE?
on May 22, 2012 at 4:52:11 am

AcccCKK! You again! ;-)

Save your mocha project file to your fastest drive. mocha will, by default save your project and cache files together.

Best workflow is to work with smaller chunks but before you do that, see if mocha will work productively with the original duration. One other caveat is that working with a long duration may result in layer management issues.

BTW, mochaAE/Pro V3 includes layer grouping (group layers into folders) as well as features to assist in the sharing of projects across different personnel.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on May 23, 2012 at 8:29:51 pm

To add to Roland's comments, note that you can down-res your clips to smaller size, do your tracking work than re-link the project to full size clips for speed.

It is not always necessary to be working in the full size image. The up-res will scale the shape or track just fine.

-R

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

Josh Pigford
on May 24, 2012 at 1:52:35 am

Thanks Ross.

Does Mocha do any of the resolution downsizing? Or are you just saying to do that in AE? (Wasn't sure if that was functionality that Mocha might happen to have)

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 24, 2012 at 2:19:06 am

Hi Josh
1) create a lowrez in AE (ensure that its aspect ratio matches the high rez)
2) track the low rez with mocha
3) apply mocha tracked data to layer in AE (in low rez comp)
4) apply Scale Composition script - File>Scripts>Scale Composition.jsx
set width to actual high rez dimension.
5) place high rez backing/tracking plate into comp - switch off/delete low rez backing/tracking plate
6) replace (alt/option + drag over) insert layer (layer with mocha tracking data)
7) for mocha corner pin data, set the insert layer's Scale to 100%
8) for mocha transform data, place this Expression into the Scale property - value/3
The number 3 should denote the scale factor of the original rez relative to its low rez version. For example, if the original was 1920x1080 and your low rez is 640x360, then the Expression should be value/3
9) for mocha V3, exporting a 3D Cam Solve requires no manual adjustment as the Scale Composition script only affects AE's camera settings

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on May 24, 2012 at 7:17:19 pm

Or you could track follow Roland's steps but after tracking the low res, go to the clip tab and mocha and link the project to the higher res file. mocha will automatically scale up the track or roto data.

Cheers,
R

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 24, 2012 at 7:24:25 pm

[Ross Shain] "after tracking the low res, go to the clip tab and mocha and link the project to the higher res file. mocha will automatically scale up the track or roto data. "

That's awesome Ross! Didn't know that - it's definitely a more seamless workflow.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Josh Pigford
on Jun 4, 2012 at 11:15:45 pm

Ross, this sounds awesome.

What's the actual workflow with this? I've got mocha AE 3.0.1.

If I start off tracking a low res version, would I use the "Relink" button in the Clip panel and just relink to the full res? Or would I import the full res separately and somehow switch back and forth between them?

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Jun 8, 2012 at 5:11:32 pm

Hi Josh,
You probably got it sorted by now, but I believe that you simply link the shot to the higher res file.

Best,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]