ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Gtx580 sli vs radeon 7970 for after effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kleng didot
Gtx580 sli vs radeon 7970 for after effects?
on May 22, 2012 at 3:11:44 am

Hi guys first of all to those who want to know my setup here it is

kinda too lazy to type all the hardware well anyway my only issue is that i'd like to use 4 or more monitor when im using after effects

1st for my real time emails and chat
2nd monitor is for browsing the video and for playback
3rd is for the after effects
4th would be for premier or vegas.

But gtx580 only supports 2 monitors so i plan to SLI, would i benefit from it?

radeon hd 7970 supports up to 6 monitor for 1 card, would their be any disadvantages aside from not having the CUDA?

i use after effects and other video editing softwares, im happy with gtx580 but i really need more monitor..

I'll be using it on cs5.5 and cs6 in the future as im just waiting for a stable version of cs6 probably 3 months from now before i jump to an upgrade.

I wont be upgrading to gtx680/690 as its very expensive i have a bargain 580 that is worth almost just 40% of the actual price so i was thinking of buying it, and the 7970 is also bargain .. if im convinced on using 7970 ill be selling my 580 and buy 7970 instead or perhaps buy the 2nd 580..

just to use 4 monitors.

Regarding using 2 gpu independently would that be even possible without problems in the future, like problems on different gpu drivers conflicting on each there or anything else?

guys i need your expert suggestion and opinion.

TIA :) good to be here

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Gtx580 sli vs radeon 7970 for after effects?
on May 22, 2012 at 11:50:50 am

[kleng didot] "But gtx580 only supports 2 monitors so i plan to SLI, would i benefit from it?"

No.

[kleng didot] "radeon hd 7970 supports up to 6 monitor for 1 card, would their be any disadvantages aside from not having the CUDA?"

Yes. AE's GPU-accelerated ray tracer requires an NVIDIA card. See the system requirements [link] for more.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
on May 22, 2012 at 6:09:32 pm

I've heard CS6 can support multiple(nvidia) GPUs on some level in after effects for raytracing, but I don't know if it applies to GTX cards or just quadro cards, and if so I don't know if SLI is necessary or not. If you already have 1 580 stick with it for now though, ATI really isn't an option in the CS6 world. If you just need to have more monitors you could always get a cheaper GPU like a gtx 550 or lower to add more displays, real CUDA work will still be done on the single 580, just make sure it's another gtx card and the single driver should handle both with no conflicts.

Good choice not going with the 680/690, since they aren't currently supported in AE CS6 for raytracing.

Return to posts index

kleng didot
on May 23, 2012 at 5:19:17 am

ok so i can work on gtx580 for this cuda and gpu acceleration that cant be found on radeon...

then 2nd card for just displaying the 3rd and 4th monitor is that it?

Return to posts index

Rufus Cubano
on Jul 1, 2012 at 10:02:24 am

Hi, I think you will find this video really interesting :

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]