ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Display tearing in CS 6 persists - anyone else experiencing this?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Perry Kroll
Display tearing in CS 6 persists - anyone else experiencing this?
on May 21, 2012 at 11:21:25 pm

Hi all,

I posted about this issue before, and have also cross-posted to the Adobe forums. I am experiencing severe display tearing/refresh rate issues in AE CS6. These issues happen regardless of whether or not I am playing back from the timeline, or merely panning around. Even slow panning around in the composition window results in very obvious tearing. (screen tearing - wikipedia)

Since I last posted, I purchased and installed an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 from MacVidCards. The card works perfectly in all aspects of OS X, and in all other programs, but the screen tearing is still there in After Effects. I installed Nvidia drivers, CUDA developer drivers, and also tried adding the card to the list of raytrace supported cards, but none of these things helped.

(As an aside, the card works beautifully for GPU accelerated raytracing, despite being unsupported for that purpose, once it has been manually added to the raytracer_supported_cards.txt file)

I tested in both 10.7.3 and 10.7.4. I also created a clean fresh install of 10.7.1 on a new drive, and installed CS 6 from scratch, with no plugins or any OS modifications. No difference.

A friend with a newer 12-core Mac Pro tried AE CS 6 under Snow Leopard with the same card, and experienced the same problem. When he booted into Windows 7 on the same machine, again with the same card, the issues were entirely gone.

Machine: Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 16 gb ram

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? It strikes me that this must be conflict or bug in Adobe's handling of the GPU drivers on Mac OS.

Thanks for reading!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Display tearing in CS 6 persists - anyone else experiencing this?
on May 22, 2012 at 7:11:04 am

Hi Perry, sorry to hear that your issues have not gone away.

BTW, the GTX470 is supported natively/automatically by AE and PPro. From what I've read Mac OS 10.6.8 seems the most stable Mac OS for AE CS6.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Perry Kroll
on May 22, 2012 at 2:58:54 pm

Yes, the GTX 470 is theoretically supported, just not for ray-tracing. When I spoke of it being unsupported, I meant only in the ray-tracing capacity. Which is easily fixed via the text file hack I mentioned.

The Snow Leopard system I tested on was 10.6.8 - and runs a very smooth operation normally with DaVinci Resolve, etc., all finely tuned. Still had the exact same problem there.

Does anyone know if there is a way to email Adobe support, or at least talk to a high-level engineer right away on the phone?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 22, 2012 at 3:17:47 pm

[Perry Kroll] "Yes, the GTX 470 is theoretically supported, just not for ray-tracing. When I spoke of it being unsupported, I meant only in the ray-tracing capacity. Which is easily fixed via the text file hack I mentioned."

Hmmmm, AFAIK the 470 doesn't require any fix for ray-tracing support. Which text file, specifically, are you editing and what is the actual text that you have types in?

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Perry Kroll
on May 22, 2012 at 3:24:21 pm

Ray-tracing supported cards in CS6

Before I edited the text file, GPU rendering of ray-traced elements was disabled, and CPU rendering was very slow.

Once I edited the file, GPU rendering was enabled, and it was blazingly fast.

On OS X the file is stored inside the app bundle, and the path is:

/Applications/Adobe After Effects CS6/Adobe After Effects CS6.app/Contents/raytracer_supported_cards.txt

I simply added the line: "GeForce GTX 470"

So now it reads:

GeForce GTX 285
GeForce GTX 470
Quadro CX
Quadro FX 4800
Quadro 4000

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 23, 2012 at 1:21:29 am

My bad Perry - I forgot that you're on a Mac. I hope things work out for you.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Stex Omatique
on Aug 13, 2012 at 1:47:08 pm

Hi Perry,

thanks for your tip. Raytracing is now supported! ;-)

But I still got one problem:

in the systemprofiler it states correctly:

»NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1280 MB«

but in AE CS6 ( Preferences / GPU Information) I only get this summary:

Fast Draft: Available
Texture Memory: 960,00 MB
Ray-tracing: GPU

OpenGL
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 OpenGL Engine
Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-7.10.2
Total Memory: 1,25 GB
Shader Model: -
CUDA
Driver Version: 5.0
Devices: 1 (GeForce GTX 470)
Current Usable Memory: 105,00 MB (at application launch)
Maximum Usable Memory: 1,25 GB

Do you have the same infos in your CS6 version?!

bests & thanks a lot in advance!

stephan

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 22, 2012 at 3:23:43 pm

i would also contact the macvid guys... they are responsible for the modifications that allow the gtx470 to run on osx, so they may have some input.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Perry Kroll
on May 22, 2012 at 3:24:45 pm

Thanks Kevin. I have contacted them, and I'll report back if we get anywhere.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 22, 2012 at 6:45:45 pm

thanks, i'm really curious to see how well the mac flashed pc cards cards will work out with adobe's software.

i know initially most people were flashing cards for gaming, and you could live with a some screen issues, and maybe that would be ok for previews too, but not for final rendering.

it would also be nice if apple and nvidia see that there is a market for these flashed cards, and decided to expand the mac video card market... i mean, just 4 cuda cards... really?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 23, 2012 at 12:48:12 am

[Kevin Camp] "i know initially most people were flashing cards for gaming, and you could live with a some screen issues, and maybe that would be ok for previews too, but not for final rendering."

AE's ray tracer uses NVIDIA GPUs for numerical calculations (via CUDA and the OptiX engine).

This is totally different than image-based manipulations (such as via OpenGL) where the image quality may vary depending upon the implementation.

Ray tracer renderers should be identical regardless of whether they are done on the GPU or the CPU, and regardless of which (supported) GPU they were calculated on.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 23, 2012 at 2:34:07 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Ray tracer renderers should be identical regardless of whether they are done on the GPU or the CPU, and regardless of which (supported) GPU they were calculated on."

that's right.

perry, does the tearing still happen if your switch cpu rendering on osx?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Perry Kroll
on May 23, 2012 at 4:49:35 pm

Yes, the tearing happens on any rendering mode (including final/full quality), whether or not hardware acceleration is on or off, and regardless of resolution.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 23, 2012 at 5:19:55 pm

that would make it sound like the card is not the issue... do you happen to have the previous or oem card to try (or have you tried this already)? -- i had assumed that this was not an issue prior to the card change.

obviously if it was an issue with the oem card too, then it would seem to be an issue with ae... possibly a conflict with something on your system, if few people are seeing the same problem.

if it's a problem only with the pc graphics card (under osx), then there are several places where the issue could be... it could be that the nvidia drivers that apple sends with osx don't work properly with that card; it could be that the way the rom was put together with part pc and part mac doesn't jive well with how adobe uses the card; or it could simply be that since adobe wouldn't have tested on that card (with it not being an official release) then it may have an issue that they would have never seen.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Perry Kroll
on May 23, 2012 at 5:22:55 pm

I see what you're saying for sure, regarding the flashed card.

However, the issue was also present with the ATI Radeon HD 4870 that came with my Mac Pro.

Several other people are chiming in over on the adobe boards with the same issue across a range of cards/systems.

This seems like a serious issue that may be at least slightly wide-spread.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 23, 2012 at 5:34:34 pm

[Kevin Camp] "if it's a problem only with the pc graphics card (under osx), then there are several places where the issue could be... it could be that the nvidia drivers that apple sends with osx don't work properly with that card; it could be that the way the rom was put together with part pc and part mac doesn't jive well with how adobe uses the card; or it could simply be that since adobe wouldn't have tested on that card (with it not being an official release) then it may have an issue that they would have never seen."

I had weird tearing when I had a Mac NVIDIA GTX 285 -- but I had all kinds of other trouble with that card, too, so I ended up dumping it. This was only in the AE interface. It didn't affect the renders.

I second the recommendation to try another graphics card.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Patterson
on Jun 15, 2012 at 5:39:45 am

FWIW, I am experiencing the same "tearing" display issue in After Effects CS6. I'm running a 6 core Mac Pro, with an ATI 5870 HD card. The same files display fine in CS5.5, but the tearing in CS6 is really annoying. I'm partially resigned to replacing this card so I can implement the Mercury Playback engine features in Premiere Pro, as well as the new 3D rendering in After Effects. Thus, I suppose a Nvidia card is in my future, but I'd like to know for sure that this will fix the tearing issue.

Looking for advice on solutions!

cheers,
Dave

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:50:43 am

See the list of significant bug fixes in the next version of After Effects:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/whats-new-changed-after-effects...

This issue is fixed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]