ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS6 and render Multiple Frames Simultaneously

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Tunnell
AE CS6 and render Multiple Frames Simultaneously
on May 21, 2012 at 2:34:46 pm

I set AE CS6 to Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously. I have 8 Cores and I set it to use 4 and allocated 2 gig per core. It takes longer for ram previews using this feature, than leaving it unchecked. Whe I check it, it says "Initializing Backgound processes. This may take some time." Then nothing happens.

Does anyone else experience this? This really doesn't make sense.

Thanks,

David Tunnell
TunnellVision Productions

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: AE CS6 and render Multiple Frames Simultaneously
on May 21, 2012 at 3:30:46 pm

i don't have cs6 to test, but all previous versions of ae that have the 'render multiple frames simultaneously" option have to start up background renderers, one for each core that will be used. so that part sounds normal... also, it should only happen once after starting ae.

as for performance with or without that option, it does depend a lot on the project. some will benefit more from mp, while other may not.

personally i would always have it on, unless i was having issues. however, there are some things that you should know about when enabling mp in ae and you should take a look at this (although it is from the cs5 manual, i think it still applies to cs6):

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS9F936D13-E76A-41e4-BF8F...

and there are links to several other tips to help render performance here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

David Tunnell
on May 21, 2012 at 4:23:14 pm

Thanks,

Very good info!

Thanks,

David Tunnell

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 21, 2012 at 9:12:13 pm

Rendering RAM Previews with MP does seem to 'hang' on occasions. Purging memory or emptying the cache folder doesn't help. If I find RAM Previews taking too long to get started, I will switch it off. After a few RAM Previews without MP, I'll switch it back on and hope that it works. More often than not it does.

I'm on a PC and when MP is in a stuck-y mode, the Info Panel will show Rendering Frame 2 of XXX.

BTW, let us know how much total RAM you have and you you've allocated them in the Prefs Panel. The link Kevin provided includes lots of info on optimizing memory settings but they are general guidelines with no specific recommendation for the different types of system setups that abound.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

David Tunnell
on May 21, 2012 at 10:41:52 pm

I have maxed out the ram for this motherboard at 16 gigs. I have 8 cores, I assigned 4 cores to AE with 2 gigs each and left the remaining ram to other functions.

Thanks,

David Tunnell

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 21, 2012 at 11:04:49 pm

With CS6, Photoshop and I think Illustrator share the same memory allocation as AE,PPro, Encore and AME. Therefore, you will want to set aside more than the 8GB of RAM in the Memory & MP prefs.

Instead of 2GB per core, increase it to 3GB per core. This will leave 4GB to other apps (1GB per core), which should be sufficient unless you intend to run a 'high-end' app concurrently with your Adobe production apps.

Another permutation is to set AE (and other related Adobe apps) to use 5 cores with 2.5GB per core. The drop-down menu doesn't provide for setting 2.5GB but you can open up the Prefs Text file to allow for this.

The bottom of this page contains instructions on how to change the values contained in the afore-mentioned drop-down menu - http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS9F936D13-E76A-41e4-BF8F...

Take note that the list maxes out with 6 items. Therefore, you will need to change the values after the "=" sign instead of adding a new line.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

David Tunnell
on May 22, 2012 at 12:13:44 am

Thanks, that is great information. I tried the 4/3 and got a tad better performence. It is strange, when I do 3D in AE 6, I get faster previews using the nVidia GPU.

Thanks,

David Tunnell

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 22, 2012 at 3:35:36 am

You're welcome David. But take note that AFAIK, Memory & MP settings will not solve issues related to background processes which seems to have a mind of its own.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

David Tunnell
on May 22, 2012 at 11:57:06 am

I understand, it always has been. I once had Nucleo Pro which was an attempt to do what AE is doing now with multi frame rendering using multi copies of AE. It never worked very well either.

One of the problems is that the more they improve the preview renders the more demands we put on the software and the platform with larger files and more complex projects.

I and many of my associates do entire commercial projects completely in AE. It can become a challenge when trying to work out timing and often you have to render out the project to confirm the real timing and then make adjustments.

Thanks,

David Tunnell

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 22, 2012 at 2:41:52 pm

[David Tunnell] "One of the problems is that the more they improve the preview renders the more demands we put on the software and the platform with larger files and more complex projects. "

To me, it's part of evolution and how the entire ecosystem evolves - us wanting more and them giving us more; creating an endless cycle of knowledge and innovation. We shouldn't forget the hardware peeps too. To this end AE CS6 has made a huge leap. It is however unfortunate that not all users will be able to enjoy the hardware acceleration BUT Global Performance cache is HUGEly awesome AND all can leverage its benefits!

On the side of hardware acceleration, there is now great possibility that hardware accelerated DOF, scale, Motion Blur etc etc will be available in future offerings. Do send your feature requests to the folks on the AE Team.

[David Tunnell] "I and many of my associates do entire commercial projects completely in AE. It can become a challenge when trying to work out timing and often you have to render out the project to confirm the real timing and then make adjustments."

Global Performance Cache should provide a huge productivity boost. On my end, I try to leverage on PPro for previews and timing as often as I can - not always possible but when AE and PPro work together in a dedicated workflow system, sweetness abounds!

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

David Tunnell
on May 22, 2012 at 3:05:57 pm

Global performance cache rocks! Now, I am forced by my business to operate in two environments. I have a PC that has a massive nVidia card and the 16 gigs of ram and 4 fast drives. I get relly good performance there.

Then I sometimes have to use a 17" MacBook Pro running Parralells and the graphics card isan ATI card. It has 16 gigs of ram, but windows can only use 8 gigs of it. I can legally use my copy of CS6 on both, but not at the same time. But it seems that I can only get either Mac or Windows licenses so, I have to run CS6 on the mac under Win7.

But, unless I am doing 3D, which is impossibly slow on the mac, I get pretty good performance. I just throw the resolution down to half and it works pretty good.

CS6 is really a sea change for the the suite.

Thanks,

David Tunnell

Return to posts index

Mihajlo Nikolic
on May 28, 2012 at 12:13:19 pm

Hi David,
I'm not a production pro or anything like that and actually accidentally saw your post.
Anyhow, just wanted to drop you a message that with CS6 Adobe have now made available a cross-platform licensing model.

You can see more info here:
http://prodesigntools.com/how-to-install-run-adobe-cs5-5-both-windows-pc-ma...

Hope that helps

Return to posts index

David Tunnell
on May 28, 2012 at 3:07:50 pm

I don't think that I can do that now that I have purchased CS6 single license for Windows.

Thanks,

David Tunnell

Return to posts index

janmaarten de wit
on Sep 6, 2012 at 1:21:03 pm

Since one month I'm working with a new system. (windows)
Our MacPro's became to slow even with a GTX 570 upgrade.

We use it for heavy 4k/5k post work and Resolve.

The case is that it hangs very often on when rendering MP.
Means hanging on 2 of xxx frames or 'Initialising background process'.

The system has 96gig of ram and 24 virtual cores (2x 6core Xeon)
Set to 3 gig per core I stil have a huge amount of ram for the overall program.

I'm very unhappy because a lot of times a cannot take profit from the system's power.

Any more takes to make this more reliable?

----
http://www.janmaartendewit.com
----
Motion Graphics Designer/ Editor/ Camera Operator
----
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Return to posts index

David Tunnell
on Sep 6, 2012 at 2:45:50 pm

I never have got MP to work properly. I am amazed that it bogged down your MacPro!!

Thanks,

David Tunnell

Return to posts index

janmaarten de wit
on Sep 6, 2012 at 3:30:09 pm

Such a shame, right now it feels like driving a Ferrari with 3 wheels...

I hope they fix it in the next update.

CS5.5 had minor problems with MP as using it on a MacPro compared to CS6 .(dont know about the Windows version)

----
http://www.janmaartendewit.com
----
Motion Graphics Designer/ Editor/ Camera Operator
----
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Return to posts index

Pete Mulder
on Dec 17, 2012 at 10:41:39 pm

I have an I7 Processorw ith 8 cores, 64 Gbs ram, One Geforce GTX 680 graphics card and Mountain Lion OSX on a Hackintosh setup with two SSD Hard Drives. Its a great machine but when I am rendering in Premiere Pro CS6 my CPU is using just 16% of its resources and my Memory Ram is using just 12 Gbs out of the 64 that should otherwise be available (other than the small amount allocated to other programs of course). I don't understand why an otherwise 'above average' computer is not having more of its resources being used for these time consuming tasks such as Warp Stabilizer, Etc. Is there any hope here? I feel a little silly having bought all of this RAM for these specific purposes only to learn after the fact that most of it is not being used to move things along.

Pete

Return to posts index

Craig Rogers
on Aug 6, 2013 at 6:36:05 pm

Has anything been resolved with this issue? I'm running dual E5-2650 Xeon, 64GB memory and I need to tweak the MP settings so that no more than 6 (of 16) cores are used or else AE CS6 will render terribly slowly.

Like a previous poster noted, it's like driving a super-car but keeping it in first gear. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

chris jaren
on Dec 28, 2013 at 6:42:10 am

From what you have composed and what I have perused different places you may need to have your storing set up to head off to the ssd. Cant hold up to get another machine with a strong state head to store to...Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]