ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Getting AE to recognize my GTX 570 in OSX

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham HutchinsGetting AE to recognize my GTX 570 in OSX
by on May 20, 2012 at 3:44:07 pm

Hello all,

Firstly, let me state that I am aware that my new GTX 570 is not officially supported by Adobe in After Effects in OSX. I bought the 570 with the intention of starting to use Resolve, but wouldn't you know, the first gig I land after installing it is a motion graphics job where I need to have CUDA accelerated ray-tracing, and I still don't have a strong grasp of C4D or Maya, so for now, I'm working in Windows 7 via Boot Camp, which is working out fine, minor UI irritations not withstanding.

So, I'm curious if anyone can point me in the right direction to getting this card recognized in AE. I've found a few things in hackintosh forums involving editing the GPUSniffer.exec in the contents of the GPUSniffer app which didn't really work and I am aware of Macvidcards.com, which seems like a decent and not too expensive alternative to waiting it out, but it's def going to have to wait until after this job.

I'm also curious if anyone associated with Adobe can shed some light on future plans to expand the cards they support in OSX and how Mountain Lion factors into all of this.

As I stated before, the GTX 570 works like a champ in Windows, so it's def not a hardware incompatibility holding things back.

Thank you for your time.

-Graham

OSX 10.7.4, Windows 7
Adobe CS6
FC Studio 3
Octo 2.26GB MacPro, 32 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Getting AE to recognize my GTX 570 in OSX
by on May 21, 2012 at 4:11:07 pm

i would assume that if apple and/or nvidia (mostly apple, i assume) would officially offer the gtx570 for osx, then adobe would be able to easily support it too. but since i believe that the gtx570 is only a pc card i think that makes it harder for third party developers to support it.

however, i think that if you mac will boot with the gtx570 and that you've installed the cuda drivers from nvidia then i think the gpusniffer hack should work (from what i''ve read... i haven't tried it). i assume that you followed a procedure similar to this (pc steps, but overall thorough write-up):

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/AfterEffects.htm

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Graham HutchinsRe: Getting AE to recognize my GTX 570 in OSX
by on May 22, 2012 at 8:06:07 pm

Hi Kevin,

Correct, something similar to that. There is no Mac specific version of this that I can find.

Guess it's kind of a wait and see thing.

-Graham

OSX 10.7.4, Windows 7
Adobe CS6
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2012 at 10:00:55 pm

to hack the mac file, right-click the ae application and choose show package contents. in the contents folder open the file called 'raytracer_supported_cards.txt' in text edit and add the name of your card (should be the same as the name for the pc on studio1's site).

that should enable it for ae to see as a gpu/cuda acceptable card for the mac.

again, you'd need the latest cuda drivers for mac, and i guess apple's nvidia drivers included with the os are good enough to work with that card.

i'm really curious about how well the mac flashed pc cards work for after effects... i've been reading as much as i can about it, though i doubt that i'd ever be able to get my company to support doing something like this... what i really hope is that nvidia and apple see the need for more affordable fermi based cards like the gtx 4xx and 5xx with lots of cuda cores.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Graham HutchinsRe: Getting AE to recognize my GTX 570 in OSX
by on May 23, 2012 at 4:06:26 am

Well that was ridiculously easy.

Many thanks!!!

As far as performance of the flashed cards vs stock in Lion, it's my understanding that the stock card has half the data throughput of a flashed card. It works, but it's not as fast.

I'm using CUDA-Z to benchmark and the Host to Device memory copy sits at about 2900 MiB/s in Lion and about 3300 in Win 7. It should be over 5000 on a flashed card. I just wish it were easier to contact the people at MacVidCards.com. The website has no way to contact them, although I guess I could message them on Ebay, which is where they seem to sell most of their cards.

Thanks again!

-Graham

OSX 10.7.4, Windows 7
Adobe CS6
FC Studio 3

Return to posts index

by on May 23, 2012 at 2:47:46 pm

the macvid guy's name is david pirinelli, he frequents the davinci forum here if you wanted to try to get in contact with him over there, but there's no other info in his bio. but ebay may be just as good.

i don't know him at all, but i've been reading a lot about cs6 and gpus this past week, and have come across a lot of mention about macvidcards and him, and noticed his name in the forums.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Adrian ThompsonRe: Getting AE to recognize my GTX 570 in OSX
by on May 31, 2012 at 6:48:39 pm

Will his GTX 570 card be recognized and used by After Effects CS6 for Ray Tracing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230797067695

Return to posts index

Robert WalkerRe: Getting AE to recognize my GTX 570 in OSX
by on Jun 15, 2012 at 4:24:15 pm

Yes - the macvidcards 570 will be recognized by After Effects and Premiere AFTER you add "GeForce GTX 570" to the supported-cards .txt files for each app.

Rob Walker
Walker-Fitzgibbon TV & Film
Miami

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]