ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

working from your PC...from your laptop?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Malcolm DeSotoworking from your PC...from your laptop?
by on May 20, 2012 at 12:00:09 am

Kinda an odd thread, but I wasn't sure where else to post this.

I'm pretty happy with my desktop. It's fairly fast and gets what I need done. However, I've always wanted the ability to work while I'm away from the office or traveling.

I've pondered buying a laptop, but purchasing a laptop with enough processing power to accomplish what I do on my desktop may become rather expensive.

So, I'm wondering if anyone's ever attempted using a remote viewer app like Go To My PC to work from a separate computer that might be less powerful than the one you're accessing.

Has anyone attempted this?

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: working from your PC...from your laptop?
by on May 20, 2012 at 2:14:04 pm

You are correct. A laptop capable of comfortable AE work will be costly. Check out the folks at BOXX. They make laptops specifically for this sort of work, and you'll see what I mean about the prices.

We use LogMeIn instead of 'Go to My PC', mainly because it's free. However, I haven't found this solution to be adequate for editing, and I wouldn't even consider it for AE work. We mainly use it in this realm for connecting to perform a remote encode from Premiere if we need one quickly to show a client.

-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: working from your PC...from your laptop?
by on May 22, 2012 at 12:08:42 pm

[Malcolm DeSoto] "So, I'm wondering if anyone's ever attempted using a remote viewer app like Go To My PC to work from a separate computer that might be less powerful than the one you're accessing. Has anyone attempted this?"

I travel a lot for business. I've been doing exactly this for years, using my VPN and native screen sharing on Macs, and using Remote Desktop Connection on Windows.

With a really, really fast connection on both ends, using AE remotely can be tolerable (especially with RDC).

That said -- this is the exception, not the rule. It's usually pretty painful. Without that really, really fast pipe, you can't get decent response with low latency from the remote machine, so scrubbing values is not an option in most locations. You can't trust the viewer to be artifact-free unless you're using lossless screen compression (SLOW), and I'm not sure how it would work with color management.

Try using AE with Live Updates off while operating your mouse/tablet/touchpad with your other hand and your monitor set to 16-bit color (or Thousands of Colors on a Mac). That's a bit like using AE remotely.

In general, I'll only use AE over RDC for very specific tweaks where I don't need a lot of interactivity. Otherwise, I'll do the tweaks on my laptop, upload the project file back to my remote machine, render and compress remotely, and download the output.

In other words, using AE remotely may be a part of my plan when I'm working out of my office, but it's not my whole plan.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]