ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Pinning 2D shots to 3D locations in 360 degree pan shot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek NightPinning 2D shots to 3D locations in 360 degree pan shot
by on May 18, 2012 at 4:03:58 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish this.

So basically:
1. I'll have a 360 degree pan shot, which I plan to loop.
2. I'll also have various green screen shot objects.
3. I want to "pin" these green screen shot objects to certain locations in the 360 degree pan shot, matching the movement/motion of the 360 degree shot, so when the 360 shot continues past the location of where the object is pinned, it's removed from the screen. Basically, just emulating if I really did that 360 shot with those object elements in a real scene, except the objects are digital.

Here's an image of the setup - all the "objects" in this case are the "green screen shot objects" I talk about above:

I guess a way of accomplishing it is, I leave the 360 pan shot as a 2D layer, behind the 3D layered "green screen objects", then do some sort of After Effects expression to handle the 3D camera rotation to synchronize its motion to the 360 pan shot. Is this the best way or am I over thinking it?

Here are my restraints:
- I'm using After Effects, but I'm open to purchasing new software if something does this very well.
- The 360 degree pan will be accomplished just by hand, then I'll do my best to time stretch and correct movement in Final Cut or After Effects to be as smooth as possible.
- I need to be able to loop the 360 camera pan seamlessly, and have those objects remain where I digitally pinned them
- I'll be synchronizing this to audio, so it needs to be relatively smooth. I guess that has more to do with my pan technique.

I'm fairly well versed with After Effects, and it seems like this would be doable. I'm just not sure the best way to go about doing it. Nothing has been shot yet. Shooting on HDV, post with After Effects.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Return to posts index

Perry KrollRe: Pinning 2D shots to 3D locations in 360 degree pan shot
by on May 19, 2012 at 5:28:44 pm

Your two best options are to run a 3d camera track with Camera Tracker by The Foundry, AE CS6's new 3d tracker, or something like SynthEyes.

OR... do a series of 2d planar tracks in Mocha. Track other areas of the frame once your "pin points" have crossed off screen to keep the track going as they exit frame, or just track a larger area so each point can leave screen smoothly and still have something left in the tracking region. Do this for each point, and you'd have your tracks.

Any perspective distortion or anything like that which you might need on your green screened objects as they pass out of frame would need to be done by eye using the Optics Compensation filter or something similar.

Return to posts index

Derek NightRe: Pinning 2D shots to 3D locations in 360 degree pan shot
by on May 20, 2012 at 5:07:40 pm

Thanks Perry - I think I'll be going the 3D camera tracking route. It seems Camera Track might be perfect for my needs.

Now, in terms of the Optical Compensation, do you have any tips or know of any tutorials that deal with this issue of a rotating camera simulating an object on screen leaving the screen?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved