ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Change Text Layer's Content Without Changing Layer Name

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnson ZhangChange Text Layer's Content Without Changing Layer Name
by on May 17, 2012 at 9:59:25 am

Hi all,

I am creating a graph template. I have the positions of my text labels for my y-axis on the graph automated, so I have my expressions linked to my text labels' position using the layer's name.

However, since this is a template, I want to be able to change the text label's content easily (ie just double clicking the text in the composition window and changing it there) whenever I need to without affecting the expressions.

I have managed to make the text label and the layer name different, but somehow, sometimes when I need to change the content, it still gives me the expression error and thereafter disables the expression affected.

I do know I can pre-comp each text layer, but I find it quite a hassle to need to go into each pre-comp to change the label.

Is there a way of changing the text layer's source text without changing the layer name?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Change Text Layer's Content Without Changing Layer Name
by on May 17, 2012 at 2:36:40 pm

If I understand correctly, you could set up each label in a precomp and for the Source Text apply an expression to return the comps name:

Then you wouldn't have to open any precomps, you could just rename each precomp in your project window and it would update your labels.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved