ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Strange Camera Position in Foundry's Cameratracker

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabi BucataruStrange Camera Position in Foundry's Cameratracker
by on May 16, 2012 at 3:39:15 pm

Hello, good folks!

So, tracked a simple scene (backyard panning with a handheld) with Foundry's Camera Tracker, but after I solve camera and toggle into 3d, the camera is positioned as if I am filming from underground!

am I doing something wrong??

thanks!
gabstero

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Strange Camera Position in Foundry's Cameratracker
by on May 16, 2012 at 6:19:39 pm

Hard to tell- we need more info. What version of AE? Can you post a project file for us to look at?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Gabi BucataruRe: Strange Camera Position in Foundry's Cameratracker
by on May 18, 2012 at 2:52:40 pm

Thanks Tudor!

Strange thing happened. I could swear that the camera was under the floor in the 3d view in my camera tracking in AE. I initially zeroed out the master null (per certain tutorials that expand on exporting AE cameras into Cinema 4d).
Then I went back to the default position of the master null (x720,y540) and the camera looks normal now:

http://mamaliga.com/temp/3d-view.jpg

But still when I export the file via CAMERA 4D exporter plugin, there the camera is upside down(see caption below):

http://mamaliga.com/temp/upsidedown-camera.jpg

the funny thing that on a previous project things worked well.

thanks again!

ps: your name sound Romanian! So does mine!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Strange Camera Position in Foundry's Cameratracker
by on May 18, 2012 at 5:50:48 pm

Here's what I found in this post I saw a while ago:
http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/topic/59737-cameratracker-plugin-problem/
"The problem you are encountering is the different world coordinate systems between C4d and After Effects. C4d's origin point or 0,0,0 is at the center of your composition, whereas AE places it at the top left. For example, if you have a composition in AE that is 1920x1080, run CameraTracker and open up the Null that is created, you'll notice that its position will be 960,540,0. Therein lies the problem. By setting this Null's position back to 0,0,0 (as outlined below), you'll come into C4d just fine.

1. Track your shot as usual and try to set a good ground plane.
2. Select the Null and Cam layers and precompose. Double-click to open this comp.
3. Select Null and look at Position. It will be half your comp size. Set these values to 0,0,0. (Notice Cam which is still parented moves up and over)
4. Turn off parenting, select cam and null layers and export using Paul's script.
5. Bring in to C4d and you're above the floor! (Remember to set comp size and camera values manually in C4d, as the script doesn't carry this information)"

Hope that solves it.

Asa este, dar ma consider dak si nu urmas al Romei.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Gabi BucataruRe: Strange Camera Position in Foundry's Cameratracker
by on May 21, 2012 at 4:02:18 pm

Tudor!

Mii de multumiri (many thanks in Romanian)!!

Yes that makes much sense. The trouble seems to be the different takes on the world coordinates.
I am using maxon's CINEMA 4D exporter plugin for AE and that seems to be taking care of the comp's size, settings, coordinates and even camera lens values etc.
And also the plugin saves all the info into a c4d file.

Thanks a ton for all your help!

gabi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]