ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Using Premier Pro and After Effects workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Prebble
Using Premier Pro and After Effects workflow
on May 15, 2012 at 12:29:02 pm

Hi!
I think my workflow needs adjusting. I make music videos and I use Premier Pro to do this. Recently I have been utilizing After Effects also to add effects to my videos such as the wiggler to add camera shake on heavy impact parts of songs etc. I do however think my workflow needs changing!!!

At the moment I am creating my video in premier pro, not colouring at this stage just all parts where I want them, exporting as a video, importing the entire video into AE, then adding the effects where I want them, then exporting it back as a video, importing this video into Premiere and then colouring and exporting for the clients etc.

I feel that this method is rather long and I lose quality in doing so.

Can someone recommend a better work flow for me?

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Stephen Taylor
Re: Using Premier Pro and After Effects workflow
on May 15, 2012 at 2:09:52 pm

I'm working in a FCP-7 Post facility. I export an XML, open Premiere Pro & copy & paste clips from Premiere into AFX. I do all my color-grading in AFX with Color-Finesse. I like to reference the original media instead of using a flattened QT for many reasons. That way you always have handles on clips and the scaling is done in AFX on clips that are not the same resolution as the sequence.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Using Premier Pro and After Effects workflow
on May 15, 2012 at 7:06:57 pm

[Stephen Taylor] "That way you always have handles on clips and the scaling is done in AFX on clips that are not the same resolution as the sequence"

Premiere Pro's scaling [link] is better than AE's.

Otherwise, this is a good workflow.

You could also use Dynamic Link to send individual shots from Premiere Pro to AE.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]