ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Missing After Effects Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig FitzgeraldMissing After Effects Layers
by on May 15, 2012 at 11:53:25 am

I've been working on something for a while where I created an image in Illustrator that had about 60 different layers, which I then imported into after effects as composition - retain layer sizes so i could use each individual layer in AE. However i've moved the original illustrator file and now all of the 60 layers are 'missing'. Now i know how to relink a normal piece of footage, but i cant seem to figure out how to relink all of these layers inside the comp that was created.

can somebody help please

Return to posts index

Jeff HinkleRe: Missing After Effects Layers
by on May 15, 2012 at 4:35:09 pm

In your Project Window, you should have a comp named the same as your Illustrator file (unless you renamed it, of course), and a folder named [COMPNAME] Layers. Open that folder and you should see all your layers from the Illustrator file. Right-click one, choose "Replace Footage > File..." and navigate to the new location of your Illustrator file. Make sure "Import As:" at the bottom of the window is set to "Footage."

Once you've selected your AI file, you'll get another dialog box. Under "Layer Options" select "Choose Layer" and from the pop-up select the layer with the same name as the one you originally selected in the Project Window. Hit OK and all the rest of your layers should magically relink and appear in your project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved