ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Quicktime will only render to external device/drive (AE 5.5/Media Encoder 5.5)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Georgina Lord
Quicktime will only render to external device/drive (AE 5.5/Media Encoder 5.5)
on May 14, 2012 at 10:55:48 pm

For some reason, when rendering out from After Effects (CS5.5) if I choose to export as a Quicktime .mov file the render fails almost immediately. I've tried rendering the file with Media Encoder but get the same result. If I render the file using any other format (.mp4, avi, wmv etc) it works flawlessly.

The only way I can render using Quicktime is to use an external device (such as a USB stick) as the target device. If I do that, it works perfectly, but immediately fails on my local hard drive. I've tried to render to the root or a drive, different partitions, and into folders, but no luck. So exporting as QT works, BUT only if I export to an external device.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and is there a solution?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Quicktime will only render to external device/drive (AE 5.5/Media Encoder 5.5)
on May 15, 2012 at 2:36:30 am

This is indeed strange. I would check to ensure that QT is updated and if that doesn't fix the issue then trash AE's prefs.

Good Luck
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Quicktime will only render to external device/drive (AE 5.5/Media Encoder 5.5)
on May 16, 2012 at 6:38:05 am

Are you on Lion? OSX Lion doesn't permit (even admin) to write to the root of system drive. To create a folder there you have to enter an admin password. But I don't think AE would be able to write there.

You can override the permissions in the get info panel by adding yourself. But probably better just to write to a folder in your user folder or the desktop or an external drive of course.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]