ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render performance with Nvidia Tesla

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy McWilsonRender performance with Nvidia Tesla
by on May 14, 2012 at 3:17:32 pm

Does anyone have thoughts/experience with utilizing an nVidia GPU in conjunction with the Tesla (2075) to accelerate rendering...especially 3D rendering?

The nVidia specs show impressive gains, but I know that AE primarily uses CPU not GPU for rendering, so how are the gains possible?

Thanks in advance.
Randy

Eternity...don't miss it for the world.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Render performance with Nvidia Tesla
by on May 14, 2012 at 3:40:02 pm

this thread has a link that demos the new cs6 gpu acceleration features, if that's what you are looking for:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1018199

gpu acceleration is still mostly a preview render agent, and isn't used much for final renders (some effects may be able to use the gpu for final rendering, but not ae itself).

this is actually true for a lot of software.... it's been years since i used c4d, but it too could only use the gpu for previews/interactions. when it came to rendering it was all cpu. i found similar results with earlier version of apple's motion.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Render performance with Nvidia Tesla
by on May 14, 2012 at 6:13:47 pm

[Randy McWilson] "The nVidia specs show impressive gains, but I know that AE primarily uses CPU not GPU for rendering, so how are the gains possible?"

AE's new ray tracer is CUDA-accelerated, and its CUDA rendering significantly outperforms CPU rendering. This is new in CS6, and applies to the ray tracer only. Classic 3D rendering still happens on the CPU as before.

Tesla C2075/Maximus is on the supported list [link] for the ray tracer.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2012 at 6:21:55 pm

hey walter,

i have a question that i wasn't clear on in todd's demo about the gpu raytracer feature (i suppose i could ask todd, but you seem more convenient at the moment).

does ae use the gpu for the final rendering with a 'raytrace gpu capable' card? - i may just need to watch the demo more closely...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Render performance with Nvidia Tesla
by on May 14, 2012 at 6:36:51 pm

[Kevin Camp] "does ae use the gpu for the final rendering with a 'raytrace gpu capable' card? - i may just need to watch the demo more closely..."

Yes.

The ray tracer is not using the GPU to process graphics OpenGL-style; it's using it to crunch numbers.

The output of the ray tracer is identical from both GPU and CPU rendering, but a good CUDA card will render it much, much faster.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Render performance with Nvidia Tesla
by on May 14, 2012 at 11:38:48 pm

Hi Kevin, as Walter has explained the GPU works during previews and renders. This off course requires that your GPU is supported by CS6 for ray-tracing.

There are other levels of GPU acceleration that involve drawing CS6's UI and when working in Fast Draft mode. These types of hardware acceleration in CS6 uses OpenGL which is supported by lots of nVidia and ATI GPUs.

FWIW, here's a link to a few tests I did with a ray-traced supported GPU -
http://www.broadcastgems.com/mediastreamer/AE_CS6_RoRK_3DRaytracer_01.mp4

The GPU ray-tracing sped up my renders by a factor of between 15-20. That's a lot!

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

by on May 15, 2012 at 3:00:23 pm

thanks walter and roland. looks like i can start building a case for getting both a hardware and software upgrade here.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]