ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Recreating Superman the movie end credits. Problems with the echoes effect.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee HowellRecreating Superman the movie end credits. Problems with the echoes effect.
by on May 14, 2012 at 5:58:26 am

I'm looking for some After Effects advice if anyone knows how I can achieve an effect I want to do.

I want to recreate the style of the end credits of Superman 1 & 2. Like in the the following screen shot.

I can replicate the style, as I did with the opening credits, using the echoes effect.

The difference being is that the opening credits are always in motion in Z space, coming towards the camera. The end credits are static in Z space and only scroll from the bottom to the top of the screen.

This creates an issue with the blue echoes. The opening credits leave a trail behind them based on their path towards the camera. If the text stops on this path the trail of echoes will catch up to the text and you are just left with the white text. As in this example:

I need to maintain the look following screen grab over a period of time, (size of text and number of echoes), while having the text move up the screen and out of frame.

However, I also need to be able to change the position of the text in relation to the echoes as they move up the screen.

Like this:

If I keyframe between the position of the first shot an the second the echoes effect doesn't work properly.

If I precompose the composition to a new one and stretch the frame that looks right over a period of time, I cannot change the angle as it moves up the screen.

If I keep the text moving in Z space, and set up a camera with a path that keeps the text in frame at the same position. So the shot looks static, but the object in frame is actually in motion, the echoes effect no longer works.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them as I am really stumped. I also hope I have been clear in describing my intentions and methods, let me know if any details are unclear.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved