ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CS 6 new zoom effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark LegerCS 6 new zoom effect
by on May 13, 2012 at 8:37:49 pm

i remember seeing a video a few weeks back showing an effect added to cs6 that basically multiple zooms are occuring in different zones of a clip.

the only example movie that i can think off the top my head that has this shot is in the first lotr when frodo says something about getting off the road then it shows a shots where the far off distance is zooming in while the entire shot is zooming out if i recall.

im hoping someone knows exactly what this is and can tell me which effect does this?

Return to posts index

Perry KrollRe: CS 6 new zoom effect
by on May 15, 2012 at 3:55:26 am

That effect in Fellowship of the Ring is known as a zolly, or "the Vertigo effect" (popularized in Hitchcock's Vertigo), and it is usually done in camera. It is achieved by dollying the camera in or out, while zooming in the opposite direction so that an object at your focal distance remains the same size in frame while perspective is exaggerated or diminished around the object due to changing focal length/fov. For example, dolly forward and zoom out. Or dolly backward and zoom in.

It's quite tricky to get the speed right, and it works best with shots that have lots of depth, and multiple layers of foreground and background depth.

I have not heard of an effect in AE that is designed to do the same thing to footage. I imagine the in-camera version of this will always be the best way, but there may be a digital effect that mimics it.

You could definitely do it with 3d or 2.5d in After Effects without an effect filter if you have 3d objects at different depths, and you animate the virtual camera to push in or out and zoom in the opposite direction at the same time. At that point it's just optics, just like in a real camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved