ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

rough draft ray trace mode?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
rough draft ray trace mode?
on May 10, 2012 at 11:34:29 pm

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm able to work in CS6 in fast draft mode pretty quickly and efficiently. I'm animating some boxes and extruded stuff. A little poor mans 3D animation.

I can get a 1/3 rez 15fps preview in about 30 seconds for a 40 second animation. But add it to the render que and render a 1/3rd quality draft version takes 9 hours. Or so it says. I'm not waiting to find out.

Instead, I simply saved my RAM Preview. It saved as a 640x360 animation codec. I opened it in QT and reserved in a matter of seconds to h264. The whole process was 2 minutes tops.

Is this the only way with the Ray Tracing? Or is there a way to use the export que and have it not take 9 hours? Theres no fast draft in the render que that I can tell.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: rough draft ray trace mode?
on May 11, 2012 at 12:55:47 am

Have you tried reducing your ray-trace quality in composition settings to 1?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 11, 2012 at 3:53:02 pm

It's only on 4, but that's a good idea.

Don't know if it'll beat the RAM preview or fast draft mode. I'm not doing any RAY Tracing per se anyway. Just using it to extrude some shapes. Seems odd that you have to be in Ray Trace just to extrude.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 11, 2012 at 4:35:51 pm

if cs6 still has the 'use opengl renderer' or similar in the render settings, you might try enabling that for the render and see how that goes.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 11, 2012 at 5:01:49 pm

[Kevin Camp] "if cs6 still has the 'use opengl renderer' or similar in the render settings, you might try enabling that for the render and see how that goes."

OpenGL Rendering is only used for UI (panel & their components draws-redraws) AFAIK.

There is no longer OpenGL final rendering in CS6 - and Dave gives a huge, "YEAH!" :-).

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 11, 2012 at 4:58:29 pm

[Bret Williams] "I'm not doing any RAY Tracing per se anyway. Just using it to extrude some shapes"

Hi Bret, if you haven't noticed, extrusions and the additional (new to CS6) Material Options come alive only when the Ray-tracer Rendering Engine is invoked. So, extruding Text & Shape Layers are only applicable when Ray-tracing is the selected/active rendering engine.

Further, there should be a hugely discernible difference between fast draft, draft and adaptive/final rendering. The only occasions where the differential is not appreciable, AFAIK, is when an Environment Layer is absent or camera DOF is off or ray-tracing options are not applicable in the affected layers.

Try to input these variables into your layer(s)/comp and you should be able to notice the difference.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 21, 2012 at 1:08:17 am

This video explains the draft preview modes and shows how to use them:
http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/using-fast-previews

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]