ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Copy Pixel Motion vectors?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Dodson
Copy Pixel Motion vectors?
on May 9, 2012 at 1:17:29 am

Hi, I have an idea for an effect, but I'm not sure if it's possible to accomplish in AE. What I'd like to do is copy the Pixel Motion vectors from one clip to a different clip; say I put Timewarp on Clip A, to then be able to apply exactly the same warp to Clip B. I doubt this is even possible, but maybe there's some way to pull it off with more advanced techniques I'm not familiar with.

I hope my description is comprehensible. Thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Ausmith
Re: Copy Pixel Motion vectors?
on May 9, 2012 at 5:29:40 pm

You're not talking about datamoshing, are you?

Benjamin Ausmith
Post-Production Assistant
Monadnock Media, inc.

Return to posts index

Robert Dodson
on May 10, 2012 at 2:47:32 am

Huh, I had never heard of datamoshing before. The mechanics behind the effect he discusses there are conceptually very similar to what I was thinking, but I'm not looking to make something characterized by compression artifacts and rainbow colors.

I'd be working with clips with small controlled movements; my intent is for a gradual warping of the target clip without mixing in any colors from the source clip; the end result would be only an effect on a single clip, not a way to blend or transition between multiple ones.

I believe it would be possible to accomplish what I'm thinking with Pixel Motion, if it is possible to induce the same motion vectors in a different clip, but if not, messing around with compression encoding is more hassle than I want to put into it.

Edit: Is "Warp Layer" in Timewarp supposed to accomplish what I'm thinking? The official description is a bit too vague for me to make sense of, it doesn't seem to come up in tutorials, and I can't make sense of it by just messing around with it.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on May 10, 2012 at 3:51:49 pm

[Robert Dodson] "Edit: Is "Warp Layer" in Timewarp supposed to accomplish what I'm thinking? The official description is a bit too vague for me to make sense of, it doesn't seem to come up in tutorials, and I can't make sense of it by just messing around with it."

That seems to be what they had in mind for the Warp Layer, although I can't figure out how it's supposed to work either.

There are a couple of effects from RE:Vision FX that allow you to specify an alternate motion source. Reel Smart Motion Blur and Twixtor come to mind:

http://www.revisionfx.com/

Twixtor Pro even allows you to generate red/green Motion Vectors from the footage that can be used to drive other effects within AE such as Trapcode's Form or a Displacement Map.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Robert Dodson
on May 11, 2012 at 12:31:19 am

Hmm, thanks for the suggestion. I actually downloaded the Twixtor trial last week but the impression I got from working with it was that it doesn't look even remotely as good as the Pixel Motion in Timewarp, and it doesn't have nearly as many fine-tuning controls. I didn't try generating the motion vectors separately and feeding them into other effects though; that might be good to look into. I'm sure the trial hasn't expired yet.

Return to posts index

Antoine Perez
on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:50:50 pm

Hey,

I'm looking into making a similar effect, did you manage to get it working?

Best
Antoine

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]