ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Realistic Waving Flag/Banner Effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Whittington
Realistic Waving Flag/Banner Effect?
on May 8, 2012 at 9:29:10 pm

Hey all,

Working on a project where I need to place some banners or flags with text on video footage of various US landmarks. For example, a giant banner on the entire side of the Washington Monument.

Want to make it look as realistic as possible. I know there are lots of tutorials out there...almost too many and lots of them look OK but still have that computer generated feel. Anyone figure out a great way to do this? Or have seen a particular tutorial that works particularly well?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
Re: Realistic Waving Flag/Banner Effect?
on May 8, 2012 at 10:28:29 pm

Zaxwerks has a 3d flag plugin for generating what you are looking for, it's $149. It's probably as realistic as you can get in AE without going up to a true 3d application

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 9, 2012 at 1:52:22 am

Nevin is correct - while you can do some pseudo waving distortion maps in After Effects without plugins, they're pretty hokey looking. Zaxwerks 3D Flag is the best of the lot short of cloth simulations in true 3D software. The only shortcoming is that it's a one trick pony - make sure your project will more than pay for the plugin.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 9, 2012 at 9:00:29 am

You can use Free Form (the free version that comes with AE) or FreeForm Pro ( if you want to get a pligin that does a ton more than just flags waving), and use the true 3d distortion to create a flag. FreeForm Pro has a free project with expressions from Dan Ebberts that can be used to animate a flag.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

James Whittington
on May 9, 2012 at 5:41:18 pm

Thanks guys!

Just out of curiosity, do any of you know what the more popular 3D software applications are? Might be something I'd be interested in messing around with.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 9, 2012 at 7:24:43 pm

Cinema 4D is used by a lot of AE folks. 3D Max is another option.
Blender is free and has a growing community.
On the other hand, Zaxwerks Invigorator Pro and the other Zaxwerks plugins are tightly integrated with AE as plugins, and can do a lot of things.
I guess it depends on how much and how complicated your 3d needs are.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Steven J Casey
on May 10, 2012 at 4:49:05 pm

My experience with Zaxwerks, including both the 3D Flag and Invigorator Pro, have been terrible. Constant crashing, super slow the little times it does work, etc. Calling for support gets a lot of "let us look at it and get back to you", but no one ever returns calls or messages with an answer. I can only recommend staying away.

Return to posts index

george manzanilla
on May 10, 2012 at 5:47:10 am

CINEMA 4D is going to be your best bet. There are many resources for it out there and it has good integration with after effects.

----
george manzanilla
rundfunk media
http://www.rundfunk.com
http://www.georgemanzanilla.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]