ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Frame dropping / Frame doubling problem?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joost GulienFrame dropping / Frame doubling problem?
by on May 8, 2012 at 7:39:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing a weird 'frame dropping / doubling problem' lately.
I'm working with After Effects CS5.5, and my comp settings are the same settings I already use for 10 years: 25 frames per second, anamorphic pal resolution (1024 x 576) square pixels. (living in Holland, Europe)

The problem I'm experiencing is this:

I'm working on a character animation project in which I rig and animate my characters in a separate composition, with the upper specs.
I have a main composition in which I do the compositing (Background + characters) in this comp I paste the separate comps of the characters.
Now when I watch my animation frame by frame, every x frames there's a frame skipped or doubled in the movement of my characters. It doesn't seem regularly, although, I can't get my finger on it.
I found out that when I paste in the entire character (all the layers) instead of a precomped layer, the problem doesn't occur. But that's not a solution with hundreds of layers... So it has something to do with the different compositions for sure.

I've never had something like this and can't find anything about it on the web. Looks like some kind of footage problem (like you're mixing footage with different frame rates) but that's not the case. I'm not working with live footage, just key framed animation.
I've been looking in the entire project, my settings, but I can't find anything incorrect.

Does anybody have a clue? It's driving me a bit nuts now; experienced it already in a bunch of commercial projects, which is a bit painful.

Here a screenshot of my settings attached, hope you can see it. the other compositions have the same specs. Anybody can see something weird that I don't see?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Nevin StyreRe: Frame dropping / Frame doubling problem?
by on May 8, 2012 at 8:13:39 pm

In the advanced tab of comp settings theres an option to preserve framerate when nested, have you tried enabling/disabling this setting in your precomps?

Return to posts index

Joost GulienRe: Frame dropping / Frame doubling problem?
by on May 8, 2012 at 8:20:41 pm

Hi Nevin,
Thanks for your reply! Yes I tried that option, but it doesn't make a difference.
Just found out that when I paste my character pre comp again in my main comp, the problem disappears! The old pre comp (which is the same one!) keeps having the problem, but the freshly pasted not.
Looks to me like an AE bug?

I'll keep you posted, I'm trying to find out what happened.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Frame dropping / Frame doubling problem?
by on May 8, 2012 at 9:39:36 pm

try to purge your memory before previewing sometimes help when you have rasterization turned on...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved