ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE render as M2V

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Till
AE render as M2V
on May 8, 2012 at 5:47:01 pm

I know that rendering to lossless is better practice than rendering with a codec usually, but I'm under a crunch to render ideally for a DVD.

My issue is that rendering in the MPEG-DVD format has been altering the length of my comp. It's only about a 6:45 minute video to loop that has no sound, but after the render its coming in at 5:33. I've checked and rechecked my settings so far as making sure to render the length of the comp. The whole 6:45 is in the 5:30 video, just sped up slightly.

Is there something I'm missing with the frame rate conversion?

My comp settings are set to 720x480 (1.21) at 29.97 fps.

The video will work for what we need it to in the rush, but I'm trying to learn what's going on for future reference.

Thanks,

Rob

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: AE render as M2V
on May 8, 2012 at 6:29:21 pm

What happens if you put in an audio file and mute it? IOW, place an audio file in the Timeline and lower its volume. Then render out to an M2V file.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 8, 2012 at 6:40:11 pm

Doing a bit of quick arithmetic, the ratio of the different times looks a LOT like what you'd get between a 23.976 and at 29.97 frame rate.

Is there anything else you need to tell us about the frame rates involved in this project's workflow?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robert Till
on May 8, 2012 at 7:22:48 pm

I haven't had the chance to re-render with a muted audio channel yet, but I have rechecked my frame rate settings and render settings.

Comp:
NTSC DV Widescreen 720x480 1.21far
29.97 frame rate
duration 6;43;23

Output Module:
MPEG2-DVD
Quality 5
VBR,1 Pass
Target Bitrate 8
M Frames 3
N Frames 15

Render Settings:
Quality Best
Resolution Full
Time Span Length of Comp
Frame Rate - Use comp's frame rate

When I check the rendered file's metadata in Bridge, it shows the frame rate to be 29.970030

Return to posts index

Robert Till
on May 8, 2012 at 7:24:20 pm

Final m2v file is 5:39

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 8, 2012 at 7:33:04 pm

[Robert Till] "Final m2v file is 5:39"

This is timed using what kind of application: a viewer? A DVD authoring application? I'd double-check the time in a second -- perhaps a third -- application to see if it remains consistent.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Robert Till
on May 8, 2012 at 7:38:09 pm

There is a discrepancy there actually. The file's properties, the viewer and DVD authoring software time it at 5:39 (showing complete to the end) but if I drop it into Media Encoder it times the clip at 6:43;23.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 8, 2012 at 8:45:03 pm

Okay, now I'm stumped. That's just weird, and I don't know what's causing the discrepancy, but I bet it's AE itself.

Here's a thought: although I've never used the workflow, I know there's a way to import an AE project into Adobe Media Encoder and render in the codec of choice... including m2v, no lossless intermediate file necessary.

Like you, I'd have to open AE's online help and use search terms like "export to Adobe Media Encoder", "Adobe Media Encoder" or some-such. I think you could find the how-to in a short amount of time.

EDIT: Found it! Read all about it:
http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2012/04/23/exporting-media-using-adobe-...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 8, 2012 at 9:12:37 pm

It's quite a simple process to load an AEP comp into AME. Startup AME and click on the Add button and select an AEP. When the AEP is selected, it'll load into a panel which provides a copy of the AEP's Project Panel. You then select a comp and hit OK. That's it!

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Robert Till
on May 8, 2012 at 9:40:40 pm

Thanks, guys.

I'll try sending it through the Media Encoder to see if that makes a difference.

I appreciate the help!

Return to posts index

Robert Till
on May 9, 2012 at 11:58:28 am

It looks like sending the AE file through media encoder did the trick. Now why it worked, I have no idea, but it seems like a good method for future iterations.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 9, 2012 at 12:20:03 pm

Thanks for reporting back Robert. I'm curious if you had included a muted audio file into the timeline.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Robert Till
on May 14, 2012 at 2:12:58 pm

When I put the AE file into Media Encoder I had not yet added a muted audio track into it. So it seems to have worked of its own accord that time.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]