ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making Particular Follow a Null Whilst Rotating

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Dayton
Making Particular Follow a Null Whilst Rotating
on May 8, 2012 at 4:10:48 am

OK, I'm tearing my hair out here on what is most probably the simplest technique.

It's basically this:

I create a comp 500x500
Then create a NULL which automatically centres.
I move the anchor point and then create a solid and place in Particular.

What I'm trying to achieve is making the Position X,Y of the Particles FOLLOW the NULL's position. However if I try to rotate the NULL, it goes around the Anchor point fine but the position doesn't change. Therefore if I parent the Position X,Y of particular, it doesn't move as it's still seeing the original (and static) Position point of the NULL.

How can I make Particular follow a NULL whilst rotating it in a circle, rather like light streaks captured when someone does a circular motion with a firework sparkler in the dark if you see what I mean.

Phew.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Return to posts index

Andy Copeland
Re: Making Particular Follow a Null Whilst Rotating
on May 8, 2012 at 5:04:20 am

I think I understand the question...

Try making the Particular with a Light Emitter, parent the Light to a 3D Null in the centre of the comp, then just rotate the Null on the Z-axis. A lot easier than trying to do it with expressions.

Return to posts index

Dan Fredley
on May 8, 2012 at 6:15:06 am

I'm not sure I completely understand, but you can just use a light called "Emitter" that is parented to a rotating null. There are more complicated ways using expressions.

Dan Fredley

Return to posts index

Simon Dayton
on May 8, 2012 at 7:10:44 am

Yup, I managed to figure the problem out as you mentioned by using an emitter..Now it's working fine. :)

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 8, 2012 at 8:11:20 am

A Particular Layer is inherently a 2D layer BUT it works within a 3D space which is essentially within its own 3D space. Parenting a Particular Layer to another layer will inadvertently lead to undesired results.

To link a Particular Layer to an AE Layer, your best option is to use a Light Layer - as others have opined in this thread.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]